What's up with this neon?

oneeyedfrog

Hi, one of our neons has been looking odd for a couple of weeks now. Its been acting normally but it must have slowed down now coz I finally was able to catch it.

I'm trying to convince DD to euth it but she's not keen. so its in a tank by itself. Its surprised me that its lasted so long. From above it looks as if its eyes are sticking out.

Does this look like neon tetra disease?

disease.jpg

I have more neons in QT at the moment and I dont want to add them to the main tank if there is a disease in there. The others in the main tank look fine.

Thanks

From what I can gather true neon tetra diseae is more or less non existant in NZ these days. False NT disease is not, I have had fish with FNTD and it doesnt look like that, it starts out as a whitish necrotic patch on the back of teh fish that quickly spreads. I have successfully treated a school with FNTD with a regime of white spot cure and formalin treatments, a bit hard on any bottom dwellers so beware.

I dont take any chances with sickly small fish, personally for a $2 fish its not worth the risk of infecting others or the cost of meds it would take to possibly save it.

HTH Owen

is fish TB very common?

I have a female guppy who hasn't had fry for months and has a flat tummy , she just doesn't get fat any more , meanwhile the other females in the tank are constantly chased by males and she gets ignored.

Today when I took a close look at her I thought i could see a slight kink in her spine but not sure if I imagined it after reading this!

It is not common as it should be picked up during quarantine.

ahh OK, so are you sayign TB should show up when they're young? My female guppy in question is probably around 10 months old. (presuming she was a juvenile when I got her from petshop) She had three drops of fry and then no more.