Eheim 2075 thoughts?

Morcs

This filter is top of my list. Anyone got one? what do you think?

It will be for a 250L tank, and would want to use it on a 450L when I upgrade.

Tank currently houses 2 juvenile Danioids and 3 small bichirs. Running 2 Aquaclear 110s at current.

http://www.eheimasiapacific.com/prod_e_extfilter_pro3.html

The other option (and similar price) is an FX5. Higher flow rate, but huge power consumption (50W) as compared to the eheim at a mere 16W. The aquaclears use 14W each.

you would be better off with an FX5.

how so? im intrigued. I know the 2075 isnt comparable directly (a 2080 would be though)

FX5 has more capacity, higher flowrate and uses 3 times more power. Also due to the sheer amount of sponges in the FX5 leaves little room for other media. Flowrate isnt everything, with the eheim there is more bio media, greater dwell time, better quality, better features etc...

Id like less power consumption as that way I can set up another tank without my old fella moaning about the power bill :lol:

the sponges are only one part of the cannister. there are levels in the filter that you can put eheim pro media in.

you dont have to use all the sponges. when i set these filters up i leave the outer coarse sponges as they are, surrounding the compartments.

then i put some fine filter wool on top of the media (as in on top of it, not in another compartment). there are a lot of media trays, that are pretty darn large. you could easily fit 3kilos of eheim pro media in there.

I use the 2080 for a castle plant tank at the shop here, and given the choice I would have opted for the fx5- but we only use eheims on the shop floor.

you get more for your money with the fx5.

I am one of those that clean cannister filters relatively often, usually once every month or two. but with the fx5 you can make it help with quick water changes, where it cleans the cannister as well.

I am one of those that clean cannister filters relatively often, usually once every month or two. but with the fx5 you can make it help with quick water changes, where it cleans the cannister as well.

you mean the purge feature?

Cheers for your insight. Will have a good look at both when I can. Ill be able to get them at almost wholesale price, so the pricetag on the eheims wouldnt hurt quite as bad.

Might get one of the wee tiny eheim canisters for the nano too.

you get more for your money with the fx5.

In terms of initial price, I agree. The wattage is somewhat insignificant too - the extra 36w ends up costing $63 more per annum on the power bill (based on 20c per kWH - 36w x 24hrs = 0.864kWH x 20c = 17.28c/day x 365 = $63.07, if you care, lol).

Though some prefer Eheim in terms of quietness of operation and durability. I have heard the FX5 can be quite rattly but cannot speak from experience - I have its baby version and its quiet as. (much smaller though so it ought to be).