New Zealand Shrimp and White Cloud Mountain Minnows?

SamH

Should be fine.

I imagine the minnows would be too small to do much to the shrimp (and there would be no threat vice versa).

Native shrimp are *very* sensitive to low oxygen levels. Hence the need to have them fairly cool, but also with a low stocking density.

If you have a good source of shrimp, I would advise just getting a few to begin with and see how things go. Later on add more.

You should need to feed them. They just eat algae and tiny invisible biofilms on submerged surfaces.

So would you suggest adding extra oxygen to the water Stella?

a lot of surface flow will be sufficient, get a air pump to do this (or aim the filter output up

Where is the best place to get the shrimp?

Tidal rivers would probably be your best bet...

What plants do they like?

I'm pretty sure they aren't picky so anything that you could get to grow in it (pond stem plants, java fern/moss ect)

Do I need to cover the filter intake?

As long as it doesn't have a huge amount of suction and they cant get up it it in any way it should be fine

EDIT:colour for SamH :P

Yay! :lol: But I'm still a while a way from needing them yet.

Are there any tropical plants that don't do so well in room temperature-cold water? :-?

Most of them?? :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you would be better off trying to get some pond plants from palmers most of them can be grown as stem plants immersed just read the labels :P

:P

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myplants/83-Creeping_Jenny_Lysimachia_nummularia_Aurea.html

It comes in a reddish variety as well

theres a couple of different species of Hygrophila you could use ones also purpley red and if its inside probably polysperma

water sprite...

the native glosso if you have enough light

these plants :Phttp://www.aquabotanic.com/abstore/en-us/dept_31.html

I saw that last link N1CK but I think I'll stick to the mosses and riccia.

I'm guessing I should scrap CO2 for the shrimp or would it be okay if I used reverse photosynthesis in the sump and only use DIY? :-?

Depends on how stable you can get your DIY mix, I personally wouldn't risk it with shrimp and would go down the excel route, It would work though if you managed to get good reverse photosynthesis setup going it would work fine

Also what do you mean by only DIY :o :o