chinese firebellied newt babies - one is a different colour?

darkfur

Hi all and especially Alanmin :wink:

I have 5 baby chinese fbn larvae, they are only about 3cms long, and I have noticed one is a different colour from the others. Perfectly healthy and all as far as I can tell, but 4 are black and one is a mottled brown (kind of like a "black" axolotl, if not lighter). I doubt I can get a pic. Is it usual for chinese fbns to vary in colour?

They do vary a bit. I have mainly black (with red bellies) Japanese and now and then there are young like that ( I have 3 at present). I also have chinese that are still small but were reared from eggs and have always been black. As well I have some Japanese from Matt that were reared from eggs and have a very distinct red line down the back of the tail and part of the back and these were that colour before they morphed. I don't know if they are from different parts of Japan or just colour morphs but they do seem to vary a bit. The young that are that colour tend to be more red when morphed.