Nitrate control

skuzza

I use a small aquamedic nitratereductor,... but thats only to assist me when i slack off. the key is reducing what causes the nitrate build ups in the first place. so, make sure you do regular water changes, keep a low (or adequate) bio-load, ensure there are no dead spots by having good circulation, topoff with RODI water etc. Read this:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/nitratecontrol/

Just tested my nitrates tonight with a salifert kit, 0.2ppm

DSB's are the lowest maintenance, most effective form of nitrate removal in my opinion.

Just make sure that is is not in your display tank, but in a separate sump area which can be quickly disconnected from the entire system. DSB's are not to be touched once running, otherwise they are prone to crashing, which results in it stripping your tank of oxygen, killing stuff.

Layton

lots of flow in the tank and lots of rock in it.

overskim your tank, I know lots of people using skimmers rated for 2000L on 800L tanks.

I am still toying with the sulphur thing, but i need to find a suitable variable rate low volume pump...... but will prob just make a home made lactose feed unit. i think these are a lower risk unit.