Heating a fish room

wayneh

I am looking at switching from individual tank heaters to heating the whole fish room, in an attempt to reduce the number of leads and power boxes I am using... Fish room is fully lined with styrofoam.

Currently all the tanks are heated and the fish room stays at around 25 degrees... what temp will I have to have the room the keep the tanks at approx 27 degrees...

I am assuming the 2 degree drop from 27 in the tanks to 25 in the room would work the other way as well.. so heating the room to 29 degrees will keep tank temp at 27 degrees...

Can anyone shed more light or knowledge on this for me...

Cheers

Wayne

mmm not sure sorry...but is styrofoam just sheets of poly or something else? :)

Styrofoam is a foam of polystyrene. Polystyrene is a hard, relatively inflexible thermoplastic used in a huge number of plastic items like forks, CD cases, cups, models and polystyrene foam.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Looks like I will have to set it to 27 and see what happens to the tank temp, I will use an empty tank to testing the temp after a few days and leave all the others with heater in them.

I tried to get a new fan heater today from Mitre10, but it is no longer winter, so they have none in stock.. go figure... haha.

Wayne

If you want to have a difference in temperature between the top and bottom tanks you can use a heater where the fan only comes on when the element comes on. If you want a more even temperature you wire the heater so the fan goes all the time and the heater comes on when required. Make sure the fan is rated to run continuously.

Yep my room is heated with a seven fin column heater set to 28c. the tanks are warm enough to ensure the fish continue to spawn whilst saving a bucket load of cash on the power bill.

My system has a built in thermostat on the heater but as a fail safe I have also installed an external thermostat [as is used in reptile tanks] that is set to cut the power off should the room temp exceed 30c [Just to be on the safe side :lol: ]

I can do a major water change in my 6x2x2 tanks and the water temp is back to full again in a day or so following the work [This ofcourse depends on the number of times the door is openend and the duration of that period. :roll: ]

Remember that a heated room can also produce high humidity and the problems associated with that fact such as mildew etc.

To over come this I have a small rotating fan that has a timer. This means when I want to lower the humidity I simply turn on for 15 - 20 mins, problem gone!

Cheers :bounce: