Neon Tetra Disease?

jude

This morning two of my neons had gone pale so I removed them from the tank. This afternoon another one was losing its colour so I guess I am going to have to remove it too.

The red band goes blotchy and almost completely disappears and the rest of the fish looks a bit mottled. Apart from that they seem fine and the others look happy.

Does this sound like NTD? Can I treat it? If I can't what's the best way to kill them? Don't tell me to chop off their heads or bang them against something hard please - I tried that years ago and just can't do it!

Cheers

Jude

The best way to kill them is put them in a bag seal it up and put them into the freezer, as the temp reduces they drift off to sleep and pass away in their sleep no pain for them (so they say). not sure about n.t.d. but i know in captivity neon's are only expected to live 12 months (although i have some that are almost 2 years old and going fine)

Good luck

I did that :( Yesterday I put 2 faded mottled ones in a little bit of water and put it in freezer. Today I got rid of the 3rd one. I added some water on top of the existing neon iceblock, put it in, and then watched. It seemed to go unconscious straight away - no thrashing around and no fin movement ......... so perhaps it is the best way.

I feel like a murderer :cry::cry::cry:

• 4 months later...

We have had out neon tetras for about 4 months and so far they seem to have been the hardiest of our fish...however the last few weeks they have been LOOKING awful. it is so hard to describe..... sort of blothcy looking body...a really munted up shape....might be wrinkles! could be old age! they kind of look dented but I haven't worried too much as they still appeared quite happy. This morning one is bobbing half way down the tank...nose down tail straight up...and using his/her fins to stay in that spot (bob bob bob)....I have had one of them do smething similar where he would sort of constantly lunge in a downward stabbing like motion, but this one isn't nearly as energetic about it just keeps bobbing pushing its nose downwards drifting upwards pushing downwards again. it's colour i think is ok it is possibly the red may be less than before. Their fins looke a little nibbled too although these fish seem to be pretty much boss of the aquarium if anyone does the bullying it is going to be them.... my female guppy also has a chink out of her tail (i dont like to leap to conclusions about fin rot) I do have some quite aggresive wee fish, little things that I am not sure what they are orangey red in colour with a largish black spot and a black mop of an upper fin. and my black widows. (both these fish give my new fighter hell...he is a real sook as he had already had a rough time in the shop and had been moved away from some lemon tetras) If i had a separate tank i would move these fish along with the neons into it as i love the fish but not the way they treat everyone else....but...this doesn't help me know what is going on with the dodgy neon...as i say all of them look a bit munted up but all have seemed to be happy until this morning with this one fish doing the headstand bobby thing. Don't want to put it out of its misery, as i have had a neon before do soething really strange and thought he was a goner....and he has been fine ever since.

360 litre tank, PH 7.6, Temp 27, ammonia 0, nitrite .05, nitrate 10, GH 80 KH 40. Other tank mates.... gouramis(7 assorted), plattys(3),swordtails(3),guppies(2),blackwidows(3),those red things (2), corys (2), figher(1), head and tail lights (4) Thanks everyone.

After all that stress and worry...I go back to have another look...and now can't tell which neon was sick (should have got my daughter out of bed, she has named all 5 neons and can tell them apart). They are all swimming around fine...they still all have that strange munted up bumpy looking bodys (not as in sores or ulcers/no broken skin or anything just a weird shape...kind of like they have all been pummelled with a lil soft hammer...sort of dented) colour seems fine. (Been reading up on neon tetra disease, don't think it is that). Thanks. ...oh...and happy easter to you all.

• 3 weeks later...

Pleistophora hyphessobryconis is the organism commonly known as neon tetra disease and named after the first fish in which it was identified.

More common than some aquarists think, it can affect more species than just neons. Although it usually strikes members of the tetra family, it has also been found in barbs, rasboras, angelfish, and even goldfish. Interestingly enough though, cardinal tetras, Cheirodon axelrodi, are resistant to the disease.

Known for its rapid and high mortality rate, a cure is so far unknown. Immediate removal of the diseased fish is required as the disease starts its cycle when parasitic spores enter the fishes after they eat infected material, like the bodies of the dead fish, or through live foods such as tubifex worms, which may serve as intermediate hosts.

Once in the intestinal tract, the newly hatched embryos burrow through the intestinal wall and produce cysts within the muscle tissue. Muscles bearing the cysts begin to die and the necrotic tissue becomes pale, eventually turning white.

Symptoms of neon tetra disease are;

restlessness

colour loss

difficulty swimming

body becomes lumpy as cysts form

spine may curve in advanced cases

secondary infections like bloat and fin rot

Initially, the only symptom may be restlessness, especially at night. The affected fish doesn’t school with the others and its swimming becomes erratic and it is obvious the fish is sick.

As the disease progresses the affected muscles start to turn white, usually within the colour band and areas along the spine. This pale colouration gets bigger as additional muscles are affected. Damage to the muscles can cause deformation of the spine making it difficult for the fish to swim. Sometimes, as the cysts develop and deform the muscles, the fish’s body will look lumpy.

Rotting fins, especially the caudal fin, is common but this is due to secondary infections rather than the neon tetra disease itself, as is bloating.

Many reported cases of cures are a result of misdiagnosis as certain bacterial infections mimic this disease. Some protozoan drugs are said to alleviate symptoms but this hasn’t been substantiated with scientific studies.

Not all neons are carriers but if the disease is present in one specimen in a tank, it may have already infected all the other neons in the tank. Never buy fish from a tank with sick or dead fish. Fish that do not school, or hang apart from the others, must be suspect.

To prevent disease, quarantine all new fish for at least two weeks and maintain high water quality.

Once infected, it is nearly impossible to rid a tank of the parasite if there are infected fish present. Anytime one fish picks at another, they are at risk of contracting the disease. Although spores may be present in many aquariums, careful cleaning and maintenance will remove most of them. It is only when a fish consumes the spores that they become infected.

Ref: http://freshaquarium.about.com/

Firstly thanks for all that info Caryl, that's worth saving.

Shelley what your neons have is quite common and it's actually air trapped inside from when they eat the flake off the water surface and gulp tiny amounts of air down with it. This makes the fish look horribly sick/bloated but will come right within 24 hours once it has cleared it. You could add a small amount of epsom salt which acts as a laxative or better prevent the situation by taking some flake between two (clean) fingers and dip it underwater, this way they don't actually need to come to surface to eat it and don't risk swallowing air.

Always a good idea to separate sick looking fish immediately however to a quarantine tank that has exactly the same water parameters as the tank they've come from to avoid possible infection of other fish especially in the case of neon tetra disease which is easily spread.

I still believe that neons if held in good conditions will last 3 years. They are sometimes fragile and when inducting into a new tank this should be done slowly over an hour. Often they'll go pale and die but this could be due to a number of reasons not necessarily NTD but look for all the symptons as Caryl as listed.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I've recently started my first tropical tank. At the moment i have 5 neon tetras in there. Today i noticed that one of them is losing its red colouring and was wondering if it could be neon tetra disease?

He's swimming normally and doesn't seem to be having any problems at the moment. Could it be that he swallowed some air while trying to feed like someone said earlier in the thread? What should i do?

Thanks

Ron