lepoards

southern man

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

do they cope better in cold water, tropical or inbetween? Have seen a bunch at thepetcentre here (ex hutt pet centre) and think they are wicked but have never kept them? I knew a bloke who used to keep and breed them with guppys and swordtails in 25c here in the hutt!? so it must be possible?

Cheers

LB

They are cold water fish but will cope with 25C.

I have a selection here ready to give to southern man when we meet at conference. Thanks Doug! All are doing very well. Lost one female for no reason I could see, about a week after we got home, but all the rest are going great guns.

You still want some navarre? I forgot you had asked :oops:

I could give southern man a few less :wink:

I have found they breed if they get regular water changes. I don't think temperature bothers them. In their native tropical homes temperatures are 20 - 24C and I have read of a man who kept them in temperatures ranging from 4C in winter up to 34C in summer.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mine are doing great, got a small bunch and now i have a tank full. They don't breed in big numbers but they have no interest in their fry.

I find new babys every couple weeks, looking forward to filling all my tanks with them. They are one of the few livebearers that seem to prefer only freshwater, no salt added and have far more personality than guppys.

Its easy to tell between guppy and leapord fry, the small leapords start off with a cute little tiny black dot about a mil horizontally behind the eye.

I do 10% water changes every 2 days and feed them heavily with live and frozen food. they grow at about the same rate as guppys being given the same conditions. Very easy to breed and a great fish :D