is a 200L tank too small ?

oO SKIPPY Oo

Id get a 122x45x45, 250L, that is just about minimum size for an oscar, but you could probably keep 1 severum in there too.

really only 1 sev ? i have 3 in my 128L now - but i wanted to move them to a bigger tank and get an oscar - not sure i can afford a new tank of that size and at the price i just got quoted :) i liked the look and price of lmsmiths tank - but its only a 200L

for an oscar i would say your minimum size tank should be 4.5ft X 1.5ft X 1.8ft

for a longer term thing, 5ft long and possibly even 2ft wide would create a huge footprint.

yeah the footprint is my biggest issue at the mo - my wife doesnt like fish (at least thats what she tells me - i see her watching them on the sly :) ) anyway shes putting the handbrake on what i can buy so sounds like an oscar is out for me... :( i so wanted a little albino they are so cool !!!

will a jack dempsey or 2 or 3 and my severums be ok in said 200L tank ?

you can have a few to start off with; they are not as aggressive as their normal coloured cousins. Not 100% sure about the severums though. I'd like to think they would be ok, but I think to grow them to their prime you may need a larger tank. Not totally sure though.

you can have a few to start off with; they are not as aggressive as their normal coloured cousins. Not 100% sure about the severums though. I'd like to think they would be ok, but I think to grow them to their prime you may need a larger tank. Not totally sure though.

Phoenix - you are making this harder for me... :) i guess i need to take a look at whats available here and then work out what i like the best... i was hoping to have my 3 sevs and maybe a couple of other big fish - dont want small fish really in this tank

Yes. I am not known to make life any easier :o :lol: :D

We do have blue dempseys here. they cost about $80 each. At least with them you can have some plants in the tank.

with severums you cannot. they like eating and uprooting plants. and re arranging a perfectly arranged tank.

Yes. I am not known to make life any easier :o :lol: :D

We do have blue dempseys here. they cost about $80 each. At least with them you can have some plants in the tank.

with severums you cannot. they like eating and uprooting plants. and re arranging a perfectly arranged tank.

haha s*&t there goes teh blue dempsey idea - if the handbrake is on for a large tank its pull up and ripped off for an $80 fish :lol: :o :lol:

Blue acaras get to a max of 8'', but in reality dont get much bigger than 6''.

If cichlids are what you after, you could have a peacefulish community comprising of a mixture of the following:

Firemouth (6'')

Female nicaragua (beaaautfiul) (6'')

Blue acara (6'')

Keyholes (4-5'')

If that were the case, id stock the 200 with 1 of each of the first 3, and maybe a trio of keyholes...

If you wanted slightly more aggressive, id go with:

Female salvini (6'')

Female convict (4'')

Female nicaragua (6'')

Blue acara (6'')

Or you could go with a lone oscar in the 200. All the experts over on the cichlid forum say minimum for an oscar in a bare tank (not much decor) is a 55g (122x33x51)

thanks morcs - thats a good list - i will take a look at each of these - peaceful sounds like the way i want to go since ive seen what convicts can do to other poor fish :)

the lone oscar in a tank thing gets me closer to having a oscar and is a good idea but i want to move my severums to give them more room.

what about silver dollars or red belly pacu's ? could i keep them in a 200L ?