rosy barbs breeding now what.?

New_to_fish_world

My rosy barb male has been chucking the female against the lil plants I have in the tank

I know this is a sign of them breeding but NOW what.?

Will I see the eggs.?

I know to take them out of tank once they are done and the fry stick to the glass but then what :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

Just leave them.

Start feeding them when they are free swimming.

Make sure you dont have a filter with an intake otherwise bye bye fry.

Rosy barbs scatter the eggs all over the bottom of the tank. They will probably be too small for you to see, but they will definitely be there! Take the adults (and all other fish) out of the tank after you have observed the spawning behaviour, otherwise they will eat the eggs and fry.

Now keep your fry tank gently filtered (with a sponge filter etc so the fry don't get sucked up) and wait and see what happens. If it is a planted tank with gravel on the bottom, there will already be plenty of infusoria (micro-organisms) in there for them to eat so don't worry about feeding them at first. Once you can see them darting about, you can add tiny fry food, and then when they are bigger they will be able to take finely crushed flakes.

Rosy barbs scatter the eggs all over the bottom of the tank. They will probably be too small for you to see, but they will definitely be there! Take the adults (and all other fish) out of the tank after you have observed the spawning behaviour, otherwise they will eat the eggs and fry.

Now keep your fry tank gently filtered (with a sponge filter etc so the fry don't get sucked up) and wait and see what happens. If it is a planted tank with gravel on the bottom, there will already be plenty of infusoria (micro-organisms) in there for them to eat so don't worry about feeding them at first. Once you can see them darting about, you can add tiny fry food, and then when they are bigger they will be able to take finely crushed flakes.

Have taken the Mother and father out now.

Have undergravel filter so will check to see in the morning

I am trying to find a picture of what the babies look like when they are on the glass but I can't seem to find one.

Sounds like you are onto it with what you have already done.. You most likely wont see the eggs/fry unless you know what you are looking for, the best description I have had of the fry is like a grain of sand with a tiny piece of hair coming out of it wriggling on the glass.. Best to wait a week or so and shine a torch through the tank and see if you see any swimming around, chuck your java moss etc in there as it contains tiny little stuff they eat when small.

Sounds like you are onto it with what you have already done.. You most likely wont see the eggs/fry unless you know what you are looking for, the best description I have had of the fry is like a grain of sand with a tiny piece of hair coming out of it wriggling on the glass.. Best to wait a week or so and shine a torch through the tank and see if you see any swimming around, chuck your java moss etc in there as it contains tiny little stuff they eat when small.

I read about them when I first got them

Everyone knows I don't like them and why.

I have given two away this morning

I think they are starting to grow on me but I have a problem cleaning the tank as they keep nipping me and it scares the daylights out of me :roll:

I read about them when I first got them

Everyone knows I don't like them and why.

I have given two away this morning

I think they are starting to grow on me but I have a problem cleaning the tank as they keep nipping me and it scares the daylights out of me :roll:

Eh? You don't like rosy barbs? :o

So why are you breeding them then?! :lol:

Sorry I must have missed the thread saying that you don't like them (and why).

Rosy barbs aren't aggressive fish at all, just bold and curious. That's one of the traits I like best about them. They are really good when you have other fussy fish in the tank because rosies think everything looks like food and they will go and investigate and start eating it, then other fish will come along and try it too. :D I'm sure they aren't really 'nipping' you - they are just trying to find out if you taste good! :lol:

Well I am not food :x

Never been Nipped by a fish until I put my hand in the tank to do a clean :-?

Not trying to breed them they ARE just breeding.

I did a buy now on some other fish but we got the Rosy barbs was a mix up and my other half didn't know :roll:

Got them home e-mailed the guy but the time didn't suit to go pick up the fish I wanted

Since then we haven't had a e-mail back from him.

They also ate one of my platys and they have now eaten a guppy :cry:

I did read they where friendly with other fish.?

I gave two away this morning but my other half wants me to keep the 4 we have

Well if you don't want to breed them, then don't take the parents out of the tank. They will just eat up the eggs and you won't end up with any more than you have already.

They are definitely friendly, peaceful community fish, but they are also omniverous and will eat any little fish that can fit in their mouth. I had some in a tank with platies (many years ago) and they didn't eat any platy fry as far as I could tell. Instead I ended up with a platy over-population problem! :roll:

I found that my rosy barbs liked a lot of green vegetables in their diet, and it was fun to try them out on new foods like peas, cucumber, lettuce, spinach, etc.

Maybe your arm resembles a cucumber?! :o :lol:

Well if you don't want to breed them, then don't take the parents out of the tank. They will just eat up the eggs and you won't end up with any more than you have already.

They are definitely friendly, peaceful community fish, but they are also omniverous and will eat any little fish that can fit in their mouth. I had some in a tank with platies (many years ago) and they didn't eat any platy fry as far as I could tell. Instead I ended up with a platy over-population problem! :roll:

I found that my rosy barbs liked a lot of green vegetables in their diet, and it was fun to try them out on new foods like peas, cucumber, lettuce, spinach, etc.

Maybe your arm resembles a cucumber?! :o :lol:

Wasn't trying to breed them.

I put them into the tank to start cycling it so I can use it for some fish I should be getting in a month or two :)

But they have breed and are still at it in the other tank :lol:

I have named them my crazy fish

I am really starting to like them it's just taking time to get use to the Nipping

I have to do a water change tomorrow. Arghhhhh

i had rosy barbs once and every time i cleaned their tank i got nibbled on. many times i nearly fell off the chair i was standing on. had a good laugh about it and everyone else in the house had to have a turn. used to tie a piece of courgette on to my wrist and let them eat off me, lol. i would love to get more. the buenos aires tetra i had killed them :evil: