How much light do Bronze Corys need ?

AquaVitamins

I don't think any fish NEED light expect (EDIT: some)fry which need the light for development. In which case the lights to should be left on for 12 hours+. I've heard of guppies getting all deformed due to lack of light so some breeders leave the lights on for 17 hours.

Unless there's any plants you'd like to keep alive, lights aren't needed.

HTH

I don't think any fish NEED light expect fry which need the light for development. In which case the lights to should be left on for 12 hours+. I've heard of guppies getting all deformed due to lack of light so some breeders leave the lights on for 17 hours.

Unless there's any plants you'd like to keep alive, lights aren't needed.

HTH

I am interested in this comment, fry of what species need light. is it just guppies? the reason i ask is that none of my grow out tanks for africans have lights at all.

Lighting is also an important aspect in the growth of guppies. Many breeders keep the lights on anywhere between 12-17 hours. Strong bright lights are not necessary, but guppies that live in a dim tank will often form deformities of the spine. Lights should not be kept on around the clock so that the fish can rest and relax for at least 7 or 8 hours.

Id have to agree there to any creature whos natural enviroment has sun light, we ourselves need sun light for vitamin D so I can only imagine the same applies to most living creatures. With the exceptions of extremeophiles who get their energy from other means. I remember there being a post on here not so long ago about guppies having spine deformaties. How ever, I wouldnt worry too much about the corys if they get natural sunlight in there for a few hours a day it should be enough, we only need 5 mins of sunlight on our hands to get our daily vitamin d requirements. I only have the sun as my lighting, corys and bolivians spawned to must be plenty.

I was thinking more along the lines of fish whose fry do not like the light for a while after they are hatched - like cardinals. I seem to remember reading that they prefer a blacked out tank.

This is from the article on this site re breeding cardinal tetras...

Another factor to be noted in this bio type is that cardinals are found only in dark and shaded waters away from sunlight and they have a distinct dislike of strong light.

It then talks about blacking out the fry tank with polythene.

could be so caryl coz my corys usually spawn late at night or very early morning. It depends what lighting you use as to how closely it resembles the sun. There are many spectrums of light that come with each ray of sunlight, not just UV, also the heat factor, I ve used high end indoor lighting for my carnivorous plants. I dont know how much and what gets filtered out through the water itself, also bearing in mind most natural enviroments dont have clear glass sides, light only comes through the surface. White light from eco bulbs will penetrate the water, they dont supply heat how ever but I cant see that being a factor here. They give just enough to get seedlings raised in an incubator, but then a yellow light must be added to supply the heat. There are many species of animal that dont directly live in light how ever, but still depend on it. I think this is interesting.

haha I can imagine that, mine spawn alot but just eat the eggs as shes laying them, any left she'll eat them herself, When i put them in the smaller tank to give the rams some room to spawn, I've noticed some eggs dotted on the fake plant, still white though so most likely unfertilized, Im sure ill get albino corys soon though. I was reading that BBS for cory fry is a big no no, they cant take the salt.

Rams look to be getthing ready for another try too