would this work???

Zayne

What sort of ice cream container are you going to use? TipTop of Cadburys are a bit flimsy, especially if you want to stick something to the side and hang it over the edge of the tank, they may loose their shape.

What about something like a Systema clip lock one, bit thicker walls? (I am not condoning that you 'acquire' one of your Mother's bickky containers, either, then try and blame it on me! :wink: )

I would put the carbon on top or leave it out completely, carbon needs to be change regularly and you don't want to have to pull the whole filter apart to get to it.

How much room do you have? What about using a 4 liter plastic bucket, lots of building stuff comes in them plaster etc shouldn't be hard to get hold of one. I use an 8 liter paint bucket for the filter on my pond, it is just filled with bioballs, I didn't used to be able to see more than an inch or two into my pond now it is crystal clear.

I built something similar for my 100l tank. Set it up inside the hood. Works fine. Tanks tests are all good. I used one of those white plastic containers that you hang inside the laundry cupboard door ($6). Put an inlet pipe in at the top on one side . Made it slightly raised on that side and put an outlet pipe on the bottom at the other end. Put a spray bar on the inlet ( poked some holes in a bit of pipe I had )I started with just a hole for the outlet but it was too noisy so put on an elbow and short pipe so the return was just below the water level. filled it with noodles and put a couple of black filter pads on the top. It's been running over 6 months and I have rinsed the top pad once not too long ago. Coz it's sitting right above the water doesn't matter if its not totally watertight. I put an overflow hole in the side just incase. Had to put a little bit of plastic grill stuff by the end of the outlet to stop the noodles getting sucked into the outlet pipe. Its very quiet.

Have heard people have used lengths of spouting too.