Whiptail ID

BikBok

How big is he now? My stow away is growing fast, was about the size of my thumb nail when i got him, now hes nearly longer then my thumb. Has the same kind of markings as yours, but darker in colour. Ive been giving him a lil bit of zuchini every 3 days that seems to go down a treat. Hes very timid of other fish though, but comes to the zuchini when i put it in his cave. How big do these guys have to be before they can be sexed? Its a spike off the side of the head near the mouth on males right? and they have bristles too?

http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/aquarium/rineloricaria_lanceolata.htm

This is the other whiptail i think many are getting confused with..Check out size and where it comes from..

So confirms mine are not them and are just 100mm and from peru..Amazon region....Phill

If you read a few more pages you will find Rineloricaria lanceolata are actually found in Peru aswell, they are quite a widespread species and the look of them does vary from place to place.

phil-

What we are trying to say, is that there is more than one colour morph of each species of fish / animals.

It would be like saying I am a different species to Dixon cause im taller and darker (that would be wrong :lol: ).

Sizes, just like colour may differ between variants of the same species as well.

There are many many "lancelota" species that are still not described as of yet.

To say it is a different species altogether is a claim that must be verified with genetic information, so that its phylogeny may be traced back.

It must be verified with real genetic information - not because I say so- but because that is the correct scientific practise, and that is what all our species (fish or otherwise) have been identified on the basis of.

Any which way it is a very nice looking specimen, and I will be getting some next year as well.

If you read a few more pages you will find Rineloricaria lanceolata are actually found in Peru aswell, they are quite a widespread species and the look of them does vary from place to place.

The reason is i dont believe they are the same as fish do not come from one river at 100 and 240mm from another..

They if you actually saw the adults you would find that they also are not long and skinny as in most whiptails but very heavy in the upper body..The name lanceolata means nothing as to any name that we can import under..Fish cannot have the same name and be different..NZ laws by ERMA ..Phill

The reason is i dont believe they are the same as fish do not come from one river at 100 and 240mm from another..

They if you actually saw the adults you would find that they also are not long and skinny as in most whiptails but very heavy in the upper body..The name lanceolata means nothing as to any name that we can import under..Fish cannot have the same name and be different..NZ laws by ERMA ..Phill

So wheres the photos of your '240mm whiptails'?

I think you may have a dodgey ruler..

How big is he now? My stow away is growing fast, was about the size of my thumb nail when i got him, now hes nearly longer then my thumb. Has the same kind of markings as yours, but darker in colour. Ive been giving him a lil bit of zuchini every 3 days that seems to go down a treat. Hes very timid of other fish though, but comes to the zuchini when i put it in his cave. How big do these guys have to be before they can be sexed? Its a spike off the side of the head near the mouth on males right? and they have bristles too?

he is about 5-6cm now and will not eat any veges whatsoever.. I know of at least one other person who has bought from same breeder and their fish is the same. Will eat tropical flakes though. He was timid when I first got him but now zips around during day as well as night. .. especially when his fav food is on offer (decaps)