Does anyone else see a death trap?

SamH

you could keep a betta in it, if it was heated somehow, but never a goldfish. And you'd have to do daily water changes to keep the betta happy. I hate seeing little tanks and bowls like this advertised for goldies, or unheated bettas.

This auction gets me more though, i only hope someone buys them for their pond - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =237998655

In the natural environment bettas tend to live in really shallow ponds/puddles with low O2 concentration such as in rice fields. They basically wait around in the muddy water for a female to jump in the puddle!

To be honest with you, before I came to NZ I never even considered a betta needing a heater. I always kept my bettas in large bowls (>7 L) around the house without a heater or airstone. Then I either placed gravel/plants or some sort of decorations. That was the whole appeal of having a betta vs aquarium fish! But yeah, that container on TradeMe isn't really my preference...I like a more natural setting.

Sadly, you should have seen the tiny cups they were sold in the store! I preferred to not keep my bettas in really small bowls like I saw some people did...and generally collected really large and interesting glassware whenever out shopping ;)

I was shocked when I realized how cold it got indoors here in the winter compared to Canada! Last thing I would have ever guessed! Haha.

Twinkles: Yeah, at $100, no one's gunna buy those ugly fish. Perhaps someone could offer to take them off their hands for free?

Aqualiam_11: Nothing against you but that is wrong, visit any decent Betta forum and you'll see. Here is a real rice paddie:

Bali-Rice-Paddy.jpg

http://toyotaworld.net/2009/07/toyota-m ... e-paddies/

They sure do look like shallow puddles...

Um Sam, when the rice starts to grow, the paddies do dry up quite a bit and some parts become extremely muddy, especially around the margin.

I've seen it first hand during my trip to China for an 'Human Impacts on the Aquatic Environment' course.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jour ... 1&SRETRY=0

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/s ... ndens.html

"During the dry season, most Bettas are able to bury themselves in the bottom of their dried up habitat. There, they can live in moist cavities until water once again fills the depression during a rainy period. The fish can survive even if thick, clay mud is all that is left of the water. They do not survive total drying out of the bottom. (Vierke 1988)"

Yeah, it's true that they can get shallower and hotter, therefore, less oxygen. That's why they have the Labyrinth organ, to breathe air from above the surface. But they can jump from those puddles to find another one, they can't jump from the above conTRAPtion. I don't see the point in spending "Just $55.00!" on that thing when you can get a larger, more functional tank for much cheaper.

Yeah, I don't know who would buy that ugly thing for $55 either! LOL

Probably the parents of some little brat ;)

Even if they can survive in a muddy and/or polluted cup of water, why not display them in they full glory right? And give them some plants!

Yeah, I don't know who would buy that ugly thing for $55 either! LOL

Probably the parents of some little brat ;)

Even if they can survive in a muddy and/or polluted cup of water, why not display them in they full glory right? And give them some plants!

Also recommended for Goldfish...

i brought a blue planet hexi mini (5.7l) for my fighter on the back it says suitable for up to 4 goldfish and its marketed by people who should know better. i got rid of the filter and added a small broken external filter run off a small powerhead hidden by one of those filter intake tree stumps (the heater is also inside this)

this makes the total water capacity about 7l with around 700ml bionoodles in the filter still would not put a goldfish in this

i brought a blue planet hexi mini (5.7l) for my fighter on the back it says suitable for up to 4 goldfish and its marketed by people who should know better.

I bought a blue planet Hexy - midi size (21.6L) . I just looked through the manual and there isn't a recommendation for how many fish, but I do notice that the Hexy boxes show more fish than I would put in the tanks and they are usually goldfish pictured! How are you finding the filtration on the mini?

Bettas seem to poop on a timer...LOL. Mine makes 1 large poop a day and its easy to just pipette out, HAHA.

LOL - my betta usually has a large poop first thing in the morning, sometimes it's still hanging till he wakes up when he sees me!

I bought a blue planet Hexy - midi size (21.6L) . I just looked through the manual and there isn't a recommendation for how many fish, but I do notice that the Hexy boxes show more fish than I would put in the tanks and they are usually goldfish pictured! How are you finding the filtration on the mini?

it was written on the back of the box i chucked out the filter and pump that came with it mite be good for daphnia lol