Yahoo..... New 4ft tank.. Input required

Wok

Hi All

Thought I'd Let you know that I have just got my second tank and looking at using it for Tropicals.

I have used an existing Fluval 303 that has been running on an existing 3ft tank to build up the bacteria in the canister for the past month and have got good aged (slightly green) water from a bath tub that was outside to fill the new tank up with.

I have mixed new pebbles with half of the pebbles from my existing cold water tank so that there is bacteria that is transferred. and have transferred 6 Mountain minnows and 2 Hoplo catfish into the tank as well.

Do you think I will still need to wait a while to cycle the tank?

What plants are good in a tropical tank?

All input greatfully accepted. :)

Hey Wok! Hmmm what plants are good...Ambulia would be nice for some height and bush looking, same with cabomba, some Java Moss, Java fern and Japanese swords perhaps for some broad leave, get some red plants aswell. You want to place the braod leaves first and then place some of the fine leave ones (cabomba, Ambulia etc..) get a bit of driftwood and place the Java fern on it. The java fern will eventually attach itself to the piece of wood.

The tank should cycle in withing a week seeing what you have done...

Cheers Daniel

PS

Could i see some pics when it is done :)

Gila Fish thanks for the ideas and yes I have got the plants you have mentioned but unfortunately I need more.

Blue Ram: Yes I did get some good ideas from the tank crawl

Seahorsemad: yep nearly lost my culture of daphnia at the round about but they seem to be happy and breeding in the bath tub now.

Checked out the tank last night and everything is within parameters (nitrites, ph, amonia etc) anchored the drift wood down and now in the process of getting a few more fishies and a lot more plants. Just need to reduce the cloudiness of the tank which I think will happen by itself at the end of the week.