Advice On Bettas

Milky

Hey everyine realy new at all of this and my betta is makeing his buuble nest. I have two females in the tank and am not sure how to look after the fry. I have been told to remove the females after hatching but im realy new at this and would love any advice you have to offer. thanks everyone

how do i know if she has released her eggs? I have two females in the tank at the moment as i was told by the pet shop he would kill her through exhaustion otherwise is this true or just one of those things pet shops say as one of my females is beautiful and matches the male awesomely and Im hopeing that its her that is copulating. Thanks for the welcome and im looking forward to more advice :)

Hi and welcome

i had a go at breeding them once it was a while back but from what i remember he wraps around the female to release the eggs looks awesome, u see the eggs drop as well as her when hes done lol , he goes down picks up the eggs and places them in the nest and then gets the female again does this over and over, u will see when its over she will be hiding and looking a bit stressed, but best to have somewhere for her to hide just in case your not around when they are done and this can take some time. Remove her when its over and he will tend to the eggs.

Yes he can kill her, i had mine in a jar so he could see her but not touch her , waited till he had build a nest and they were showing off to each other then let her out , it happened pretty fast he was wrapping around her eggs were going every where:)

might need others to give more info as i say it was a long time ago when i tried.

There are some really cool vids on youtube under betta breeding that are really informative. I don't think you want 2 females in there when the male is ready to copulate, and I remember reading on the internet a while back that its best to set up the tank so its only 1/2 full and to have half a styrofoam cup floating at the top like a dome to help keep the nest together and the air just underneath it warm for the babies.

It take about 2-3 days for them to hatch, and the male is best left in there alone until they can swim horizontally. If it seems that he might have started eating them instead, then you can take him out.

Have lots of baby fish food ready once they start swimming properly!

If she's released the eggs the male will be hovering around under it and won't let anything near them and if you can look into the nest you should be able to seee smaller white specks which will be the eggs, also the male shouldn't kill her through exhaustion

This site also has alot of info on it :)

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/home.imp

firstly you'll need a seperate tanks for the girls and male, and one for the fry. The male will probably kill the females after spawning if they're not removed, and he will eat his babies when they start to swim if he's not removed.

There's a really good tutorial at http://www.bettatalk.com , but their site seems to be down this evening, try it in the morning. Its something you want to read up about first, there's a few things to learn and be prepared for.

he's not letting letting ANYTHING near the nest i have a couple of guppies in the tank also (tryna set up a comunity tank) and hes chaseing them all away. He's made an impressive bubble nest (will try upload a photo tomorrow) Should I be getting rid of one of my females all together then? Will set up a seperate tank tomorrow for an isolation for the females. Use a guppy tank for the male? Can't see any small white dots in the bubbles...will they continue breeding if i do make it a comunal tank? man soooooo many questions.....

you!

what male is this?

and which female? is it one of those deltas?

PS- rusty says hello

The male everyone wanted and the females i got from wellyz you know the ones lol... Why don't you answer my texts lol i still got my telecom. Paige would say Hi back but I've put her to sleep. you should come round and help and Paige and Rusty can have another play date lol

i'd be inclined to keep the females in the community tank, if they get along with each other, set up a little tank for the male by himself, and get a 2 foot tank to spawn them in. Then you can set them up properly to spawn in there, remove the female when she's done, put the male back in his house when he's done, and raise the spawn. In the community tank it they manage to hatch they'll all be eaten.

..unless you do have eggs already, in which case go with the above advice :)

i found them darn near impossible to see, when they were right next to the glass i could just spot them with a magnifying glass, like grains of white sugar stuck to the underside of the bubbles. But i also lost them for hours at a time when dad moved them, so just cause you can't see them doesn't mean they're not there :bounce:

Ok so at the moment I only got the one tank in the lounge which I'd love to keep as a comutity tank and the male has already blowen his nest would hate to move him now and don't realy want him out of the lounge as everyone loves seeing him. I have a two foot tank I can set up for the fry and heaters and all that what kind of food do I need and costish? I git frozen brine shrimp and bloodworm and I'm looking at breeding live brineshrimp. I'm looking on trademe now for a new tank lol. I'm sure my partner will be happy with that but hey shes spending all our money on her b****dy rabbits lol.

And Kash get your fone lol

microworms all the way :)

i can send you a starter culture for free, unless someone local wants to donate you one. They're good right from the start because they are small enough for the new fry to eat, and they are free to keep growing. Then start feeding them newly hatched brine shrimp once they're a little bigger.

If you think he might have eggs, leave the light on tonight so he doesn't loose them all into the gravel in the dark.

microworms all the way :)

i can send you a starter culture for free, unless someone local wants to donate you one. They're good right from the start because they are small enough for the new fry to eat, and they are free to keep growing. Then start feeding them newly hatched brine shrimp once they're a little bigger.

If you think he might have eggs, leave the light on tonight so he doesn't loose them all into the gravel in the dark.

That would be awesome thanks :hail: . And i thought this would be easy. Thanks everyone for your continueing advice I will be leaveing the light on forever now lol and the new tank will be set up tomorow much to my partners disgust lol :D .

Well I've done it. I knew it wouldn't be long before I screwed it up :oops: . Adding new fish to the tank and lowering the level of the water destroyed the bubble nest and anything that may have been in it. Bother!!! Owell :cry: