collecting water

jetskisteve

yes there are risks involved, and potentially benefits too.

NSW seems to realy make corals open up after a change... is it just something out of balance in my tank.. probably.... but it does offer the benefit of being able to do realititly large water changes cheaply, if there is inbalance!

Lately I have seen some really nice tanks that use NSW.

I have not yet meet a person who has wiped out. But I guess its possible using NSW as it would be using ASW and polluted tapwater, though RO/DI should take out most things....

anyone know of anyone who has wiped out?

Just to completely contridict myself. - I mentioned this on an earlier post about SteveA's tank the other day. He changed from NSW to ASW and has told me he thinks that his tank improved since he made the change. As far as I am aware Steve is going to continue to use ASW and he has a large tank (1600 litre+).

RnB used to use NSW and switched to ASW, and I think, is going to switch back to NSW. Interesting.

My own experance is that I think my tank looks better after a NSW water change. I have tried/use ASW several time, when I wanted to water change and I didn't think I could get a source of good water (Wellington weather makes getting NSW more of a challenge than perhapps anywhere else in the country). I will continue to use NSW.

Beginners. This is about the only reason I just on the NSW/ASW debate. Given the costs of water filteration (if you concede you need it). I suspect that throwing 300-500 dollars at water filteration equipment to just add water to a tank is prohibitive. I think that a beginner is better of (if possible) to use NSW than tap water/ASW. This is the advice I continue to give to people here in Wellington and on this board.

Now there 'may' be risks, but no-one seems to have had any negitive stories to tell. Even Ira who collected NSW with onions floating in it seems to have survived OK.

I think that there is no problem with ASW, cetainly a lot of great tanks that use it (reefcentral TOTM have only had 3 that I can think of on NSW), proof alone. However if you have a source of water, and you can be bothered collecting it, it should be seriously considered give my own, and many others experance.

To continue with the risks, if I thought there was even the remotest possibility of it causes me problems I wouldn't use it. However I just don't see that there is.

INTERESTING QUESTION - Anyone collect river water for there freshwater tanks?

Pie

Beginers

Do not put tap water into your tank (unless i beleive you live in CHCH)

In general NZ tap water is run off collected!

The phosphates are HUGE!

and its like adding a little bit more each week, with no way of getting it out......

as someone with an RO unit to make you some water up and pay a few $ for it, do our high service LFS's offer RO/DI water at a cost effective rate in NZ?

:wink:

do our high service LFS's offer RO/DI water at a cost effective rate in NZ?

Do they offer anything at a cost effective rate ;)

Layton - As for Chrischurch water, although it is spring water and very good to drink (full of minerals and all sorts of goodness), isn't this bad for your tank? I mean saltmix is designed to be mixed with distilled water, so all those extra minerals and things your firing into the tank are bad?

Pies

once i get my electronic phosphate meter we will test chch / akl / wgtn etc tap water and see.....

that will put it to bed for good!

That's not what you need to know though. Anyone can test for that, it's the other elements and chemicals I would be worried about.

Layton