Need advice on building a stand for my new tank.

Cheekycactus

:) Hi.

Tank specs, W=104cm, H=75cm, D=44cm. Glass rectangle shape, holds approx 343L.

It is quite a 'tall' tank, more so than 'short and long'.

So...I am looking at building a stand for it but I am a complete novice and have no idea what I am doing. (I will ask my step Father to help me build it though :lol: )

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on design? I am wanting to go as cheap as possible as I'm a single Mum with not alot of money to spare :roll: , but I also want to know that my tank will be very safe and secure.

I have many more questions but I will post in Freshwater. This is the first big tank I have ever had and I'm super excited :bounce:

Welcome cheeky cactus. The stand needs to be high enough that little fingers can't reach the top of the tank, the sides need to go all the way to the floor with at least one division that is also fully supported by the floor so the top of the stand is strong enough to take the weight of the tank(hope you know what I mean, I suck at explaining myself), MDF is prolly your best bet for price, i'd go for 18mm, but I guess 16 would be ok too, but just bear in mind that it's a big tank a will weigh a considerable amount,(prolly 400 kgs at least) think about the floor if its not concrete. I prefer to over build for something like this, hope this helps ;)

You might also consider joining the Tasman Aquarium Club. Some of their members have large tanks and could show you what their stands look like and how to go about it.

Check out the home page (click on the logo top left of the page) under clubs. Helen is their contact and she will be able to help.