I bought a Datnoid today...

Morcs

Anyone else have one?

I made the fish shop feed him too see if he was stable. Gobbled a whole cube of bloodworms up in seconds! their mouths are huge!

Hes pretty timid so got him in a small tank by himself to fatten him up so he can go in with the Oscar :)

Cant wait for him to grow!

he looks like this now:

Oddbal1644.jpg

and will grow to look like this:

Datnoid2.jpg

Thanks Vinson :oops:

It looks like an American Tiger, so it won't end up looking like the Indo in the second pic. Should be a more silverish colour and with thinner parallel bars. Every AT I've seen is a pig and will eat pellets with no proplems, try get it onto something like Hikari sinking cichlid gold asap, then onto massivore or another quality carnivore pellet when its big enough. I've just got a little one too and it eats massive amounts of food for a fish its size. Yours looks a little skinny, but should fatten up in no time!

AT's usually only get to around 30cm, which could be a good or bad thing depending on your tank size...

Thanks Vinson :oops:

It looks like an American Tiger, so it won't end up looking like the Indo in the second pic. Should be a more silverish colour and with thinner parallel bars. Every AT I've seen is a pig and will eat pellets with no proplems, try get it onto something like Hikari sinking cichlid gold asap, then onto massivore or another quality carnivore pellet when its big enough. I've just got a little one too and it eats massive amounts of food for a fish its size. Yours looks a little skinny, but should fatten up in no time!

AT's usually only get to around 30cm, which could be a good or bad thing depending on your tank size...

Cheers, Both pics are from the net. cant get photo as he's hiding still!

Should I feed him twice a day, or as hes a predator give him bigger meals, but less frequently?

Twice a day when younger. My 13" IT usually has a big feed every 1-3 days (will only eat shrimp) and my smaller one ~7" eats shrimp and massivore 1-2 times a day.

Have a look at this chart and tell us which one it is. Will be either an indo or american.

Hes an IT. the 2 bars on the tail are the same thickness :)

And its more of a white-ish colour, not silver?

Try to get it eating pellets asap, I've found they can be harder to train than the AT's.

Will do. He has no interest in the pellets I have. I need to get some Hikario gold sinkers asap :)

Anyone else have one?

I made the fish shop feed him too see if he was stable. Gobbled a whole cube of bloodworms up in seconds! their mouths are huge!

Hes pretty timid so got him in a small tank by himself to fatten him up so he can go in with the Oscar :)

Cant wait for him to grow!

he looks like this now:

Oddbal1644.jpg

and will grow to look like this:

Datnoid2.jpg

dat's are cool..one word of advice is they can get very addictive..soon you will want more!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Please feed him live fish at that age, it will help him come out of his cave and start roaming the tank hunting , pallets aren't a good idea , they aren't a cichlid . live fish , bloodworms , fresh minced ox heart are what they need , have kept both types D.micro's & D. Quad's ... bluddy shy guy's till they settle but unless they are bigger than their tank mates (cichlids etc) they will sulk and hide away ... have pics of a couple about 35 cm's that had for along time if you want to see , fed them goldfish the size of a fist.. oh and by the way , plz put marine salt into the tank ( brackish) does wonders for fungal etc.. good luck and enjoy the cool lil dude :)

Please feed him live fish at that age, it will help him come out of his cave and start roaming the tank hunting , pallets aren't a good idea

I wouldn't recommend feeding pallets to anything, except maybe a hungry beaver?

If you feed live foods at a young age you'll have a hard time getting it to eat pellets later on. My AT ate pellets the day it came home from the LFS and has never been shy. By nature they are an ambush type predator, so they are always going to want to lurk in a cave.

Goldfish (and most carp) have a pretty low nutritional value, plus there's a big risk of introducing diseases and parasites. Most people only feed live as a last resort.

He now loves HSC Pellets :) I try and get him to have about 5 per day

Hes not too shy these days, yes he spends most of his time in a cave, but when i 'ask' him too, he'll come right to the front of the tank, super stable and say hello.

Im selling my Oscar as hes the only fish that the dat will shy away from. Also the tiger barbs too as they tend to play with his food as its sinking :lol:

He wasnt interested in the guppies, the oscar ate them all instead...

David is correct, feeders have bugger-all nutritional value, Hikari sinking carnivore has HEAPS of protein, and doesnt carry diseases like feeder goldfish :D