locust breeding

herperjosh

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i just adjusted the hight of my lights so now the temps are better 28 at bottom and 34 3/4 of the way up. man these things can eat and ive only got 50 lol. just getting wings now so hope to have offspring in time for spring when my frogs come out of brumation.

• 1 month later...

i had 50 adults.... in 2 months i had litereally close to 1000 babies

most of them grew up to a godo size, but left for holiday and thougth they had enough bran for food, half starved, then started to eat each other, i coudlnt clean the enclosure as it opened fromt hetop and they fly out

im trying to use a front opening enclosure so they dont get out when i clean it.

easyt ob reed

they breed like ..... locusts....

my locusts have been laying like crazy and some have hatched be not as many as hoped. do locusts lay there eggs even if they are unfertile?? because i counted the males the other day and I've only got 3 or 4 males out of the 50 in total. eggs have been incubated at 29-35 degrees.

as long as your medium was at the right moisture levels when you covered it with gladwrap should be good for the length of incubation.replace your egg laying cups at least once a week regardless if they have been laid in or not.Quite warm in there so they do dry out fast.

dirt no good,use coarse sand or pumice sand .dampen it and give it a good zap in the microwave.Then you will be starting with sterile medium.Use cooled boiled water to moisten it with if you need to.Dirt will have mega bacteria and other nasties.

• 1 year later...

D:

I don't know what's going on.

My locusts are in a tank, fresh water (soaked cotton ball), bran and grass.

tanks being kept around 30 degrees and humities around 41%.

I noticed over the last 2 days they've started being a bit twichy then yesterday when I took the tank out 3 were upside down just twitching.

My first thought was I had startled them and they jumped into the side of the glass and knocked themselves out (so wasn't too bothered cos I still had many more).

Just checked on them now because they need some more fresh grass and there's another 5 laying upside down just twitching and a few other looking like they can hardly handle there own legs and kinda keep stumbling :(.

Can't be the food supply having insecticide, because I have always gathered the grass from the same place in my yard and I haven't sprayed there ever.

Any ideas please???

sounds like insecticide to me?spraydrift can go a fair way if conditions are right,perhaps your neighbours may have had the house done etc?has the room they are in been done at some stage,maybe even the bran may be treated for weevils???

I've taken any ones that keep falling over lots out and away from the rest just in case, neighbor hasn't been spraying that I know of. Wheatmeals the same bag I'm feeding to my mealworms, they all seem alive and developing.

The rest seem okay as far as I can tell atm, a few are a bit twitchy still, I've taken them away from their light heating and given them grass from the same area again though, as to test one change at a time to work out what's exactly causing them to die.

Only time will tell I guess now, if there's more dead tomorrow I may have to find them a new source of food to try.

:( I'm rather disappointed by their deaths after I thought they were going so well.