DIY Metal Halide?

SamH

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wont save power as they are inefficient

Sure it will. Using the waste heat to heat the tank vs blowing the waste heat away and then using a heater to heat the tank.

And they're not that inefficient as heaters, all but whatever light is absorbed by photosynthesis gets turned into heat. They're just not that effective.:)

Argh, painted on ears!

You could try and utilise the heat for the tank in winter, but in summer you will have the problem of trying to get rid of the excess heat, sometimes necessitating the need for a chiller.

I think there is confusion between two different heat issues.

If you have your Mh light enclosed in a hood, depending on what the hood and other surrounding bits are made from, very likely you will need to remove the heat from the hood, or risk melting, setting fire to or otherwise damaging it. A computer fan or two is ideal for doing this.

The water may or may not over heat from the lights, sometimes the heating can work in your favour, sometimes it's a pain. The simplest way to combat this type of overheating problem is to have a fan directed over the water surface (a $15 warehouse deskfan works well for this). This increases your evaporation and cools the tank.

There can actually be a third lighting heat issue, the room can also get too hot or be full of moist air. I have a ducted extractor fan taking the warm damp air from my tank to outside.

The Addlighting one is High Pressure Soduim (HPS) and is not the correct type of light for a fishtank.

Does it say how old the TM one is - I mean the lamp, they need replacing every 6000 - 10000 hours depending on the brand.

Also you should find out how much a replacement lamp is, and how readily available they are for the colour temperature it is.

You looking at marine or freshwater?

I was wondering what wattage would be needed for a 2ft cube tank for...

A) Growing decent plants?

Have a look here, http://www.fitchfamily.com/lighting.html

I was going to replace the bulb regardless of how old it was, how much it's been used, etc.

Thanks Zev, I had seen that before but a few marine people have told me that 250w is good and 400w is overkill. Only looking at marine at this stage, it'd habe to be a long term project.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, flagged the marine idea, going for my biggest planted tank yet. Really want to go down the MH route but I've heard mostly bad things about them, people can only have them on for 2 hours a day and that T5's are far better.

Are T5 tubes easy to source in NZL?

Okay, flagged the marine idea, going for my biggest planted tank yet. Really want to go down the MH route but I've heard mostly bad things about them, people can only have them on for 2 hours a day and that T5's are far better.

Only 2 hours a day? What the hell kinda crack monkeys have you been listening to? There are people all over the place with 500-1000+ watts of lighting over their tanks running 12+ hours/day. If someone can't run his lights for more than 2 hours a day he is doing it wrong.

The crack monkeys on the PT Forums. They say they run T5's for most of the time but MH's only for a little bit.

But I'm guessing my Cube couldn't handle even 400w of light without getting some nasty algae?

Then use 250s, or 150s.

Sounds more like they're trying simulate the varying brightness throughout the day, use the dimmer T5s most of the day then nice bright MHs at noon. Some people have too much money.

I've seen that graph before, must try and find it again.

I was most certainly going to inject CO2 but I haven't yet found a decent cylinder and I'm not sure what size I need?

Bigger the better

Try and get a fire extinguisher bottle, would be around $200 if certed. Then another $200 for reg and solenoid.