Gravel

livebearer_breeder

i am having a very hard time finding the type i want, and am wondering if any1 could help? i would like a very very fine gravel, preferably sandy colour or a light colour! i went down to the river earlier this week and collected some river sand, but it was not very good in a tank! it compacted together and im not sure wether this is good or not, i am presuming not! i would even settle for a dark gravel as long as it is very fine! i have seen some ppls cichlid setups online and they look really nice with a very fine sandy looking gravel! i wonder what this is? any help would be appreciated!

Cheers Shae

I know in a saltwater tank our sand is no good as it is silica based and leeches toxins or nitrates or phosphates or somthing that isnt good i would say it does the same in freshwater

If it is for a cichlid setup and it is ok for the ph to be (high i think) then you could use finely crushed limestone

I haven't done this before but have you thought of trying someone like Firth? There is one close to us and they have big piles of different sized dark gravel ranging from sand to large pebbles. Don't know if they would be interested in selling small amounts to people, but you could try. Has anyone else?

I have a big tub of cleanish sand that I collected from right around red rocks in the 4x4 was going to use it but never got around to it, you're welcome to it if you want to pick it up from Tawa. I don't really know how much but I can only just lift it so guessing 70-80Kgs worth.