neon tetra breeding

shiuh

How i breed cardinals and rummy nose tetras!

I think the key to breeding these fish is pair selection. At the moment i have 4 pairs of cardinals and 6 pairs of rummy nose. They get put down to breed every 3-4 days.

I do this for about 2 - 3 weeks when i get the time.

I get about 10 - 30 rummys out and 10 - 15 cardinals about every second time.

I started with about 20 cardinals and rummys.

sorted the pairs out into there own tanks, male in one female in the other.

I have a large drum (100ltr) of water that has a c filter + a peat bag that the water flows thru.

I will only use this water for breeding, and only when the water is really dark.

The water that is in with the adults is standard tap water.

I set up a heap of 14 x 7 x 7 tanks with wire mesh in the bottom.

then add peat water

a little! spawning moss

place wood of plastic between the tanks

put one pair of fish per tank

if the fish are going to spawn they will do so in the morning on the first or second day

If you get eggs make sure you know what pair spawned and keep them away from the other pairs...!!!!!!!

this may help and you can use this system for most tetras

Woops. Sorry, should have read the full post.

The different body shape tetras give a different way of sexing them

eg, the Back Widow, - - take away all the fins,

what shape body do you have.

Round or ovalate??

The round ones are the females.

Look at a group of tetras,neon-shape for example

You will see slim bodies and fatter boddies, fatter =female.

Also the longer shaped tetras like the neons, that have a longitudinal line running the length of their bodies, will be bent (the line that is) if it's a female.

Colour variation of the eyes, eg, congo tetrashave green or blue eyes, green = females.

The head and taillight tetra types are easily sexed by their shape, fat v slim method.

Of course you can't leave out the variations you have with the male V female, where as in most species, the male is more gaudy than the female.

Ever noticed when netting a group of tetra in a fine net, how sometimes you'll get some that snag and just hang suspended in the net??

Those are males, they have hookson their anal fins.

With the emerald eyes, and I think they may be emerald eyed rasbora, just go by the fat/slim method.

But the surest way of sexing them is that the ones that lay eggs are females, and if any babies appeared, you had at least one male in there somewhere. :roll:

Alan 104

We've got some emerald eyes here, about eight, you're right Alan they are rasboras. They are very very hard to sex, almost no difference between males and females because they are so small. The only way I can tell is when the males chase a female and I notice the female has a slightly larger body, mainly from top to bottom rather than side to side.