My First Discus

GeeTee

Have taken the plunge today and bought my first discus.

The tank will be a work in progress for a while with more plants and some other fish too I guess.

Have seen the white discus in the lfs before and not thought much of them,but this one caught

my eye today, so had to bring it home.

discus004.jpg

FirstDiscus033.jpg

discus005.jpg

FirstDiscus035.jpg

Was a little concerned after the first day as they did not eat.

Fed them this morning and one ate and the other two nudged the bloodworm around a bit,so that was a relief. They were happy tho', fins up and showing plenty of colour,not hiding at all and coming to the front of the tank when I approached it.

• 2 weeks later...

The leopards are feeding really well,but the white one is only picking off the bottom of the tank.

The white one picks at the spiralina flake and the leopards love the blood worm.None go for the colour bits still.Hope they aren't going to be that fussy.

The white one is pooing white,what is it's problem?

Ohh No Amy :o

There are certain things that you need to keep on hand when you are keeping Discus.

These are:

Prazi (Droncit)

Metro (Metronidazole 400mg Tablets)

Furan2

Epsom Salts

Rock Salt

I would remove it from the Main Tank and pop it into another Tank.

How long have you been keeping Discus Amy??

I just started so not sure what to do. Have had this one for around 5 weeks. This is one of the first ones that I bought.

I will go and buy the stuff tomorrow. Will I get everything in the local pet shop or o I have to visit the vet. This particular one is about 5cm in size. I have moved it ti a different tank now. What should I do now.

Metro and Prazi are available from the Vet

The Vet will need to prescribe Metro for you, took me a month of mucking around with the Vet untill they were finally happy to give me the Metro.

Rock Salt and Epsom Salts available from the Supermarket

Furan2 available from the Petshop.

Pop and Airstone into the Tank the Sick Discus is in Now, and turn the Temp upto 32-33. Pop abit of salt in there too.

Do you have any Furan 2 on hand Amy??

Hey I'm not laughing at you.

We all learn by our mistakes :oops:

I've got a sick wee Fella in my Hospital Tank at the Moment, he has been in and out of the Hospital Tank for a few months now, hoping this will be the Last time I have to put him in there.

I've only had Discus for about 6 months, and I've learnt heaps about them since having them.

Where did you get the Discus from??