Problem With Guppies Dying

ilah

Hey guys, just a bit of a problem for me at the mo.

I got a tank a few months ago that had about 50 adult guppies in it. Then about a month ago some started getting lethargic, slightly hunched, tail gets a little red on the end and drops down then eventually they die. Whole process normally takes a couple of days and it affects both sexes. I have lost over half of my fish from whatever this is, 2 week old fry i saved from the tank are fine so far, all other fish in the tank are fine and have had no other deaths apart from guppies. Water param's are sweet and temp is about 25 degrees C. I cant find anything on the web so if anyone has had something similar happen or knows what could be wrong please let me know as it is starting to drive me nuts :o

Cheers

Green water is good for reducing stress in guppies. I always let a couple of tanks nearer the window in my fishroom go green, prety much so you could only see the fish an inch or so into the tank. Just don't over stock the tank or during the night the algae will take in more oxygen than they are putting out and sufocate your fish.

I have a lot of guppies and have had lots of problems. Not the same symptoms as yours but probs. none the less. I find that guppies are not as indistructable as they used to be and water changes are very important. ( I thought they bred in toilet water).

a few of mine got big wart things on them and died

and as jim said, i noticed mine looking a bit sad so I changed the water

do it when your tank is lookin a bit ick

i use to do weekly but i cut it down a bit now as it was too much work, my tanks are near windows thank god ! so they are easy to empty lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...