Time to start over, Tank setup ideas wanted.

Mad Whip

Hi all,

I Have a spare four foot 250L tank that I want to set up. Only thing is I'm not sure what I want to put in it. I have kept tropicals for about 12 years now. I had been keeping Mbuna in this tank. Still have one cichlid tank. I know I want some plants this time round and want to use sand like Dalton propagating mix as the base. I'll need to get new lights I'm sure don't know what I have in this hood. So any ideas of style of fish or fish combo's. I do have to say I will work to keep fish happy and healthy so odd/hard suggestions welcome.

Cheers

James

If you're planting it lightly then some dwarf cichlids/apistos with a school of tetras and some corys would be nice. If you're going for a full-on planted tank I'd just have a large school of one species of tetra.

That was my thinking too - a really lush planted tank with one or two species of tetra and maybe a herd of algae eaters like ottos or SAEs.

Here's a suggestion for you:

Take a look at lots of photos on the web and see what takes your fancy, then link us to them here. We will be able to look at what you want to achieve and advise whether it's possible for you.

The key thing for a planted tank is likely to be your lighting. What kind/how many fittings do you have? You will almost certainly need new tubes, but you will need plenty of fittings if you are going to grow the widest range of plants.

Okay there are some good ideas. I'm now thinking of a large school of rummy nose a gang of panda cats and or sterbie cats and a pair or trio of bettas to watch the Pantodon bucholzi butterfly fish. The butterfly is the only one I have not kept before. I hope it is not to hard on the rummys. Then with plants I think I want one to float with big leafs, some Anubias and some other plant to be a clean filler that offers little or no cover at the base. I want lots of plants but not so thick I cant see the fish. I would also chuck some plecs in there too. :bounce: or maybe I should just get some big fat arse fish and call him bud. How long could a arrowana be in a four foot tank for? I'm guessing only a year or so :cry: .

Well the tank is in it's new room and has 32l of daltons aquatic mix in the bottom and about 40 kg of black sand ready to go on top. Just need to work out what plants I'm going to use and if they need planted before water and sand goes in. I hope all the extra effort helps the plants to grow.

How much lighting do you have? It's usually the lighting that seems to be the biggest restriction on what kinds of plants you can grow and how successful they are. Everything else can be added fairly easily but the lighting is the key.

Only a 2 tube set up at the moment but i'll add another 2 or 3.

So that's 2 x 4-foot tubes? I was a little disappointed when I recently bought a 4-foot fitting off Trade Me and found it only took 3-foot tubes. :-? But either way, the addition of a couple more tubes will increase your planting possibilities exponentially! Also, depending on the ages of the tubes, getting new ones can make a big difference to their output, as can adding reflectors and cleaning any perspex between the tube and the water.

I have had very satisfactory results growing easy plants in my 4-foot tank with 110 watts of light - ambulia, hygrophilla, java ferns and amazon swords have all done well for me so far and I would recommend any of them for your tank. The Dalton's is a good substrate IMO. I have used it in the past and will do so again next time I set up a tank.

What sort of tubes should I get? I plan to build or alter my existing hood so I don't want a couple of $80 tubes rather have 4-5 $15 tubes. Will this idea work what type of tube should I track down?

I just bought some Ember tetra for this tank. Don't worry they wont be into it for at least a month or two.

What sort of tubes should I get? I plan to build or alter my existing hood so I don't want a couple of $80 tubes rather have 4-5 $15 tubes. Will this idea work what type of tube should I track down?

I just bought some Ember tetra for this tank. Don't worry they wont be into it for at least a month or two.

I fully endorse getting more of the cheaper tubes rather than spending a lot on one or two. Also you are advised to change them often to maintain their light output, which is much more likely to happen with the cheap ones! Personally I go to Bunnings and buy Philips "Cool Daylight" tubes. Their colour temperature is 6500k, which is good for growing plants and they are quite cheap.

Tip of the day: Write the installation date on the actual tube so you can tell at a glance exactly how old that tube is, and change them out regularly. (I aim for 12 months but realistically I end up changing them after 18 months or so.)

I fully endorse getting more of the cheaper tubes rather than spending a lot on one or two. Also you are advised to change them often to maintain their light output, which is much more likely to happen with the cheap ones! Personally I go to Bunnings and buy Philips "Cool Daylight" tubes. Their colour temperature is 6500k, which is good for growing plants and they are quite cheap.

Tip of the day: Write the installation date on the actual tube so you can tell at a glance exactly how old that tube is, and change them out regularly. (I aim for 12 months but realistically I end up changing them after 18 months or so.)

That is a good tip for Sunday 8)

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...