Radio Scanners

Gannet

Anyone on here have one?? i got my dad one a few years ago, but recently ive decided to have a go and see how i go,

im using a uniden UBC72XLT and so far ive managed to tune into the local police, airport, and get the marine forecast,

very interesting to hear whats going on around the place, just herd that there is a car going around town so fast its only got 2 wheels on the ground around the corners :o

so if anyone else has fun with a scanner, pipe up and lets us know what odd things you've herd

Grant scans police and ambulance all the time as he needs to know when a fault comes up on the system (he repairs some of it). Some of the stuff you hear from the police is very funny. I am glad they are able to retain a sense of humour through some of the stuff they have to deal with.

My car actually picks up 76.0FM, which is the rural police down here in Christchurch. I think it extends all the way from Marlborough down to South Canterbury. So if your car goes radio down to 76.0, give it a go, it takes a while for a communication to come through, but there's usually some interesting stuff going on.

My favourite event was a "Semi-nude, intoxicated and bleeding" gentleman going on a verbal rampage at Clearwater, complete with policeman running, grappling, biting and swearing.

Most of the time it's just the officers doing boring stuff, but still interesting. People calling up about pieces of wood on the road, licence checks on stolen cars and a lot of "welfare" checks.

The cops are going digital these days so you will not be able to pick them up on any scanner for much longer. They have already changed in the Hutt valley I think. You will see a lot of scanners starting to appear on trade sites as people realise they won't be able to use them much longer.

You can, however, still listen to ambulance and fire service and some other services.

Yeah I got the same one Gannet.

I listen occasionally.Mainly if I hear sirens as I live near a main connecting road.

Funniest thing I heard was my mate being arrested.LOL

Also handy when you call a taxi. I listen in to see where the car for my call has to drive from.Can then judge the time it will take till they arrive. :wink: