Rainbow Shark with popeye

Jenna

yep, I've been adding a weak salt solution all along.

It does look like he's intolerant to wunder tonic

*sigh*

I checked on him an hour after I treated the tank, and yep, on his side at the top again. I can't get anything right!

so I did a bigger water change (about 30%), added carbon back in and upped the salt - looks like that's all I can use on him for the ich

2 steps forward, two back.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Ok I'm now thinking that maybe you should be halving the Dosage for the Wunder Tonic

Obviously he is similar to a Loach as in Scaleless, so any meds should be dosed in Halves.

Maybe Re-Dose him tomorrow, with Half the Dosage on the Bottle.

Have you upped the Temp??

Do you have an Airstone in the Tank with him??

yep, temp is up to 30 and airstone is in there.

The salt I've added previously has been pretty minimal being in conjunction with other meds, so I'm upping that significantly, though being careful with that too - if he dies i don't want it being my fault! :o

this sux :-?

Yea your right it does suck :evil:

Unfortunately you are doing all you can for Sharky Jenna and now it's just a matter of hoping for the best.

I lost a Keyhole to Popeye about a month ago, I hadn't seen him for ages, thought he had died and the other Fish has eaten what was left of him, then one afternoon he appeared, his eye had popped, unfortunately he died a few weeks later.

You're doing a wonderful job, just keep giving him his meds and hopefully he will pull through with abit of time.

Poor Mr. Sharkey is on his way to cold sleep.

His eye burst and he started floating upside down, stiff as a board, then having a frantic splash before floating again, so I've sent him to the freezer.

I'm pretty confident that the wunder tonic couldn't have caused the eye to burst, so it must have just been inconvenient timing that he took such a turn for the worse a little after the tank was treated.

Feargal was a really cool fish :(

Oh no!! Sorry to hear that Jenna. :cry:

Rainbow Sharks are scaleless as Lindyloo mentioned and more sensitive to medications. So its possible he was intolerant of some or all the medications you were giving him. But at least you did all you could for him. I've never had experience with pop eye (yet?!) hope I never do as it sounds like an awful disease.

Poor lil Feargal :(

Really Sorry to read this Jenna :cry:

Popeye is a build up of gas behind the Eye, this it whats makes it pop out, same thing happened with my Keyhole, to be honest, I really don't think it was the Meds that made his eye pop, it would have been the build up of Gases.

I don't know of anybody who has had success in treating Popeye, and having the Fish make a Full Recovery. They are never the same once they have been through this.

I would have put Sharky out of his misery quickly, I know it's a hard thing to do, but far better than letting him suffer.

I dont totally agree with the Freezer idea when it comes to sending a Fishy to Fishy Heaven, I think a quick blow to the head is far quicker. But we are all different so thats upto you.

Anyway really to sorry to hear this very sad news.

Maybe one day you can have a Sharky the Second :wink: