uv filters

wagonman

I bought a Uview one from HFF awhile back and it was very useful to get rid of green water in my tank. I would leave it in there for about a week along side my normal canister filter and all the (water-borne) algae would be gone.

Some are expensive, but if you want a quick fix this is for you.

What are your thoughts on these? i see a few on trade me for sale and was wanting opinions before purchasing one.

Expensive, only usefull for greenwater and there are usually significantly cheaper ways of fixing that. So...Yeah, high cost, minimal usefulness.

Also only a bandaid, it will get rid of your green water but not the cause of the green water.

If you have multiple tanks on a single system UV can be used to stop parasites and disease spreading

I used my UV filter while I had an outbreak of whitespot AND while my tank was green. I think it may have helped reduce the spread of whitespot and hence help me deal with it quickly.

Like you and Ira said, it's nice to have while you are dealing with the green water just to make the tank look better quicker. But no, it does not solve the problem of why you are getting green water in the first place.

But, btw, on a pond I think a big unit is a great buy. That's because green water is basically THE issue with ponds and many of the solutions, like filling it up with plants kind of cause the same problem of lower visibility.