Flower pot making fizing noise

Mr McFish

If it's a dry terracotta pot then you're just forcing the tiny air bubbles out of it to make it fizz. I always thought terracotta didn't change the pH of water, but just recently someone on here found theirs raised their pH! :o Might be worth taking a look for that thread... and then it might be worth doing a pH test on your water and checking on the pot before you decide to leave it in the tank.

The fizzing is the air coming out. It will stop. I didn't know terracotta altered the pH. :-?

I didn't think it did either (I have never had a problem with it) but I did a search for the recent thread where someone had an issue and here it is:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35529&start=15

About half way down page 2:

Interesting results from the pH test. It was water taken from the tank it tested at 7.0 last night before pots were added. Just now after pots have been in there for nearly 24 hours... sky high pH readings! Off the normal range chart and possibly even off the high range chart (water turned pretty shades of blue and purple!)

I am wondering though if the volume of water used will have any effect on it? Tank is 150 litres and the container I tested the pots in was only a 2 litre icecream container with less than 2 litres of water in it. Guess all I can do is add one of the pots and keep an eye on the pH.

I will put it in then. I have chucked lots of rocks in my tank and they fizzed an never had any problems.

Ah now - rocks fizzing might be a different thing! It would certainly be worth testing the pH if you're putting fizzing rocks in your tank!

I'm glad to hear the consensus is still that terracotta won't affect your pH because that is what I always believed (and what my experience supported) but Southerrrngirrl's experience had me doubting myself! :o

I'm glad to hear the consensus is still that terracotta won't affect your pH because that is what I always believed (and what my experience supported) but Southerrrngirrl's experience had me doubting myself! :o

yeah me too. All those years of putting pots in the tanks for kribs and other fish to spwan in and I had no problems at all - then I heard of what happened to her and I started doubting too..

They should lay on a pvc pipe.. Or cruise under the bulls bridge (or the river over your way) and grab some flat rocks and silicone them together to make some cool caves and stuff, as long as you have something in your tank I am sure they will find somewhere to lay kribs aren't overly fussy.