It's happened at last....

ChrisMack

Well finally,

My Strange Livebearers have decided to play ball, and today I got home from work to discover several little halfbeaks swimmin around!!!!!

Hopefully the young will survive, as I have heard they are quite hard to raise...BUT getting live young is the most challenging part, as usually the young are stillborn.........

Im hoping that the other two females also produce some young over the next few days to keep my stocks up.....halfbeaks only produce between 5-10 young per brood...

Fingers crossed.......

ChrisMack

Good News, another of the females has just dropped her young, taking the total of fry to around 20!

They are rather largish fry, around the 1-1.5 cm lenght as stated, I hope to get some pictures up soon...hopefully my digi cam will be able to take photos good enough to post.

The fry actually look something like "whitebait" with no "beak" at all, just a rather stub-nosed head area......so far all seem to be doing well

ChrisMack

• 2 weeks later...

hi, just an update.....so afr all is going well, the fry seem to be happy enough munching away on very finely ground flakefood......the total now after 3 females has given birth is somewhere around 25!

Livebearer_breeder, Im not thinking of selling any just at the moment (unless the offer is right :D) but may concider it a bit later on , im going to try and get my numbers up first....and im not to sure about sending them to Wellington.... they are a rather skittish fish, and may not survive the trip. (and just how to send them is another issue)

i'll keep you posted on if I decide to sell any,

ChrisMack

• 2 weeks later...

The little ones are going fine, they are starting to put on a bit of size now, seems to be a little bit of bickering between them now and then (sibling rivalry?) they seem rather content feeding on very fine flake food at this stage.......and the good news is ALL have survived so far............

As for pics......My digital camera is not a good one, and is not capable of taking a picture that would actually show anything well enough to even attempt to take some shots........

ChrisMack

It seems that there has been some mis-information about these livebearers...I read somewhere that the fry take 8-10 weeks before being born.....Well Bugger me!!!

Two of the females have just dropped another brood each today!!! (roughly a month after the last) and the third is lookin chubby, and may drop soon also........

As for the first broods, all is going well, and I hadnt actually realised how much they had grown, until I saw them next to the new-borns!

Sadly I have lost a few of the first broods, but numbers are looking good...Jeez at this rate Ill need a bigger grow out tank.......

ChrisMack

• 4 weeks later...

hi chris good to see someone is breeding some diffrent fish in the south island

how are they going?

i would like to try and get some!, where did you get them from?

any way of getting some south?

cheers marty/southernman

i am trying to get some diffrent fish down south

trying to get some killies down south too

:lol:

well the news isnt good.....I really dont know what happened, or where things went wrong, but sadly the young ones have all passed away......everythings seemed fine, and they were definately eating...

Good news is that I now have some more fry...hopefully I will have more success with this lot.......

Im Peaved to say the least...as all seemed well.

ChrisMack