Help!!! Chocolate Zebra Pleco Died!!!

Babyruby

Hypanancistrus species should not be confused with other genus of plecs.

They require as good water condition as you are prepared to give them, and susceptible to diseases from poor condition which can kill them as much as the ammonia situation or any other theory.

The problem with the tank that size is keeping a stable enough environment consistently and these fish appreciate that.

Leave the big changes for the breeding program. I'd be doing one bucket a day or two as opposed to 50% weekly for hypans.

Current isn't that neccesary as much as oxygenated and well filtered.

As with Caryl, avoid the concoction of meds- this will achieve not much more than making the fish into an Elvis.

yes he does have a quarantine tank, they rest of the fish are in there now, still not looking very good tho.....

Will see how they are in the morning....

keep an eye on the ammonia in there, I find that sick fish excrete a lot of it and dead fish make it go off the charts super-quick. Keep it completely bare so its easy to vacuum and feed barely anything, just what they can eat in 2 minutes and vacuum up the rest right away. So sorry to hear about the other fish dying

I think the ammonia is way too high and left over food has gone toxic........

This worries me. Why do you have uneaten food left in the tank? And why has it been there long enough to turn toxic? Never feed your fish any more than they can eat in 2 minutes then make sure you remove anything left over (except allow longer for bottom feeders to suck the pellets into oblivion of course :D )

I would not be adding chemicals either, I would be doing LOTS of water changes. Products like Ammolock will also give you false test readings so you will have no idea if the ammonia is dropping or not if it is added.