Help! What light do I choose?

Jennifer

Hi all, I am hoping someone can give me some advice as I am completely in the dark on this one (literally). :o

I have a 65L planted tank that is slightly deeper than it is wide and the light has died this morning. The tank has a hood that holds only one bulb that is about 35cm long (not including the end bits). It was not a special light or anything, it came with the tank I got 3 years ago. I recently had an algae problem and after doing lots of searches and research on here I decided to try a DIY CO2 system and increased fertiliser dosing. It has been doing brilliantly, absolutely all the algae is gone and the plants are doing well. Truth be told, I wasn't really wanting to go too high tech since I don't really know what I am doing here! But I do want something that will continue to promote some growth while not being too expensive.

The plants I have are doing reasonably well in my tank, I prune often. Unfortunately, I bought them on appearance and didn't really know what I was getting. :roll: Aside from the ones I already know, I have done my best to identify the others online. They include:

Java fern

Crypts

Anubias (?)

Aponogeton (?)

Another that has thick red stems and purpleish serrated leaves

The tank is lightly stocked with small fish including loaches, tetras, danios and a SAE.

I would like to know what light to choose. I looked at the Hollywood website and was completely overwhelmed! :oops: Also, while I am at it, could anyone recommend another type of plant that would do well with what I have?

Thank you! :hail:

Jen

go to an electric store and get a $5 tube (6500K - 10000K spectrum).

or you can go to a pet shop and spend around $40 -$50 on 18000K tubes that i used on my plant tanks.

a majority of the plant growers use the 6500K, 10000K tubes.

Only a few of us use 18000K tubes.

I think your anubias and java fern will be happier under the cheaper tubes.

HTH :D

Edit - just saw the other question you asked re. other plants. sag subulata (dwarf sag) should be happy with the others, if your aponogeton is doing well - try your hand at some sword plant varieties.

Oh thanks, that is GREAT advice. :D:bow: I will head off to Bunnings or something now that I know what to look for!

I don't think I have any sag...not sure if that was my posting? Would that plant go well in my tank?

Jen :wink: