Bump on betta! what is it?

BikBok

My poor female betta developed a bump on her head , between her eyes and I have no idea what happened.

She was fine this morning and had the bump when I got home this afternoon.

I've tried to take photos but she is very active and hard to get a good shot so sorry about poor quality. The bump is is liked a raised lump, no wounds or external growths that I can see. Just looks like a lump under her skin. There is also a white line above her top lip.. almost like her lip has pulled away slightly but it's really hard to tell.

I'm not sure what to do next... was thinking about a salt bath but don't want to put salt in the actual tank as there is kuhlis and plants in there.

Please have a look at the photos and see if you can help me figure this out..

other info:

I have had her just over 2 weeks and she is less than 6 months old.

Water temp is 25oC , ammonia is zero.. i don't have test for nitrites. waterchange is 20 - 25% per week.

BikBok-cameronbumpsb1eb-x4x.jpg

BikBok-cameronbumpsb2eb-zce.jpg

BikBok-cameronbump-ax6.jpg

her colour changes form a lovley red to a faded red in any given day but she is active and eating well and curious about eveything.

do you have any others she could have fought with?

what sort of filter you got, maybe she got "stuck" to the intake pipe?

she obviously banged it on something.

hope she is okay

she is the biggest fish in the tank.. the smaller guppys stay away from her and the male betta is in a separate tank. We did get two small half grown guppies yesterday but they are scared of her and flit away when she comes near.

Filter... an aquaone filter trickle. She swims around the intake sometimes but I've never seen her struggle or try to avoid it.

I had composed my other post just as yours was entered.. sorry about that

Does it look like bump cause by banging into something? I hope it's not anything too serious , I was worried about he worst like tuberculosis or something!

I have seen her get down by the driftwood to watch the kuhlis .. she likes to stare at them or sit on them .. it's by the window but there should be room enough . She seems to purposely put herself between the driftwood and glass though when she is looking at them. Perhaps she wedged herself in somehow.

uh..I had one of those on one of my Blue Rams but it died after the bump went away..hope she gets better!

oh I hope she doesn't die!

How long did the lump last and did it go away by itself or with treatment?

I'm just not sure what to do for her.

My idea at the moment is to put her in a floating container in the tank with salt in it for 15-30 minutes a day for the next few days. But if it's a bruise type bump . not sure if that will even help and just cause her stress.

In the meantime, I did an extra waterchange and added extra stresscoat.

oh I hope she doesn't die!

How long did the lump last and did it go away by itself or with treatment?

I'm just not sure what to do for her.

My idea at the moment is to put her in a floating container in the tank with salt in it for 15-30 minutes a day for the next few days. But if it's a bruise type bump . not sure if that will even help and just cause her stress.

In the meantime, I did an extra waterchange and added extra stresscoat.

the bump on my Blue Ram lasted about a week and got quite big and redish (like a tumor) then it disappeared but my Ram still died :( found it floating on top of the Indian Fern

Rams get those - all mine did and then died as well. That was the beginning of last year.

Use 1gram salt per litre of water. She will be fine with that and change the water daily.

Can't really see what the bump looks like.

It could be something similar to 'Asian Ram Disease', or it could be a cist or a tumour - heavily imbred/line-bred fish like Betta, Goldfish, etc are very prone to this sort of thing. There is no effective treatment, but then again it often doesn't seem to bother them too much either - especially given that it isn't located near any major organs.

I don't know what it is but she's not been inbred, dad was an import. I try not to inbreed my fighters as I find it really stunts their body size.

The imports are already inbred - thats why aquarium bettas have brilliant colour and finage compared to their rather less spectacular wild ancestors.

Father was an imported red vt, mum was bred by me and had a small amount of crowntail in her.

Your betta is not pure veiltail otherwise her tail would be smooth on the edges. I would call her veiltail but if I was selling her I would say she had a small amount of ct in her history.

Father was an imported red vt, mum was bred by me and had a small amount of crowntail in her.

Your betta is not pure veiltail otherwise her tail would be smooth on the edges. I would call her veiltail but if I was selling her I would say she had a small amount of ct in her history.

thanks adodge

I wondered about the tail.. it didn't quite look totally veiltail to me and my daughter thought she might have some CT in her.