herbie system, durso system, wet dry filter

Alienara

What are these? I'm trying to get my head around the first 2 systems and how it would work with a wet dry filter... now with the filter if i were to home make one, does it mean that the filter media shouldn't have water present around it?

i'm abit confused about how the whole wet dry works.. i know that water is meant to drip down onto the media so that it gets oxygenised and then the water gets returned to the tank via a pump, but not really sure if the media is meant to be constantly dry.

Here is a link to the Durso web site. The advantage of the durso is you only need one hole drilled in your tank, the disadvantage is that because it sucks in air you get micro bubbles in the water. Which isn't really an issue if your setting up a wet and dry filter. If you do choose to setup a durso, make sure you follow the directions on the durso site, most directions are incorrect (the diagram on the herbie site is missing the reducer required at the bottom of the standpipe) and can result in the durso not working correctly.

http://dursostandpipes.com/

Not at all, would work just as well on a smaller tank. But the issue is cost, filters for small tank are pretty cheap, the costs for building a sump setup don't really change that much as you scale them down. I guess space is also an issue, if you only have a small tank would you really want to double the space it takes up so you can run a sump.