Fish Tank Shelves?

SamH

I was trying to find a place to put just one more tank, as you do, and I saw that we had a nice little wooden shelving system. It's about 1820mm, 1220mm wide and 290mm deep. It's kind of wobbley, sways from side to side and seems to tip foward a little bit. I don't think it could hold anything bigger than a 1 foot tank at the moment and even then I'd be pushing it. I was thinking about putting braces underneath each shelf and perhaps taking out some (they're adjustable) to leave more room to work in and around the tanks.

I kind of need an engineering/technical point of view on this one, what is the best way to strengthen it and stop it tipping foward?

I'll try get some pics up when I find the camera but I've just done this quick SketchUp in the meantime.

Shelves1-1.png

Shelves2-1.png

Shelves3-1.png

Shelves4-1.png

-Thanks

with the ply on the back I would also look at the sides then you wont need any more bracing plus it will help keep the tanks warm

I would also avoid putting tanks on the bottom row as its too hard to see them and to do maintence (water changes)

I know this as I have tanks on the bottom row :oops:

You havnt got your locallity but if your in Auckland, your welcome to have a look at what Im doing

What size timber are the corner legs

The shelf isn't that strong at the moment but I'll do all I can to strengthen it. The shelves change be changed around but the just have to sliding bolts on each side and couldn't take the weight of the tanks. Ply will definately help but timber underneath each shelf is needed. Screws or nails?