heaters with accurate (or at least consistent) thermometer

humvee

I have several brands of heaters (all fairly new - under 3 months) an all of them seem to regularly go AWOL and either don't heat when they should or heat when they shouldn't. I target 25deg with all my tank and after getting it stable for a few days I often find a tank has dropped to 22deg and the heater is not on or it has risen to 28 and the heater is still on. Are there any models/brands that are more accurate/reliable

Hi - a lot of it depends how / where you place your heater and what kind of water circulation you have in the tank (which will depend on what kind of filter you have and how it is set up). Also, the size and shape of the tank has an effect and the wattage of the heater. Describe your setup in a bit more detail and I am sure we can all make more educated rather than generalised suggestions :-)

* what dimensions is the tank?

* does it have lids?

* what filter do you use and where is it located - if canister, where are the inlet and outlets located?

* what size heater do you use, where is it located compared to the filter, and how is it orientated?

* where is the tank situated in relation to a draughty door or hallway or window etc?

* what are you using to measure the temperature and where is it situated compared to the heater?

With a picture from the above info, it will be a lot easier to give specific advice.

Without a temp controller most heaters should maintain tank temp within a few degrees at all times (assuming normal range of outside temperatures and correct sized heater for tank).

What brands do you have running? I have a jebo that does that, I set it to around 26 it keeps it stable at that for a while sometimes goes upto 29 for a while then sometimes down to 22.. I would recommend a jager or fluval heater, aqua ones seem to be alright as well..

I have several tanks so I will answer your questions several times

90x45x45cm

* does it have lids?

yes

* what filter do you use and where is it located - if canister, where are the inlet and outlets located?

fluvil 403, intake 6 inches from heater outlet on back wall at other end of tank

* what size heater do you use, where is it located compared to the filter, and how is it orientated?

200w 45deg angle

* where is the tank situated in relation to a draughty door or hallway or window etc?

yes it is near a door, but not draughty and it has curtains

* what are you using to measure the temperature and where is it situated compared to the heater?

currently hanging off outlet bar, but have also placed it nearer top of heater and i still saw the same inconstancies

90x50x60cm (10mm Glass)

* does it have lids?

yes

aqua one cf1000 outlet near heater intake at other end of tank

150w virticel - some might say this heater is to small but more oftern then not the tank gets to hot rather then cold

no draughts

currently on middle of back wall (in bubble wall)

A temperature controller will cost you $130 and you will never need to worry about your heating again. What does a high end heater cost?? A little little extra outlay at the beginning and you'll never need to buy expensive heaters again, far cheaper in the long run.

http://www.deepblueaquarium.co.nz/Controllers%20&%20Montitors.htm