Help with choosing media

AquaVitamins

Heya, :D

I need some help with choosing what fitler media to put into my internal filter.

I have this oldish 'shark' filter that i want to use in my 60l alongside the current internal filter.

The 'Shark' has no media in it, and im unsure of the model so here is a picture, Hope thats helpful :)

( the shape of the media holding area is a bit weird, im not sure how it works, can you work it out by the picture? )

Sharkfilter001.jpg

Sharkfilter002.jpg

For the media i was thinking mostly bio and some Mechanical.

But what and how much ? Any ideas ? I live in Wellington by the way so local stuff would be great. And im a student too, so please nothing budget breaking :)

yeah. that's expected. you dont need that sponge. filter wool will also work but be careful you dont put it near the impellor, as it could get it stuck.

scotch brite green pads are also good, and filter wool or something similar can be brought from one of those spotlight stores.

yeah. that's expected. you dont need that sponge. filter wool will also work but be careful you dont put it near the impellor, as it could get it stuck.

scotch brite green pads are also good, and filter wool or something similar can be brought from one of those spotlight stores.

Ok, Thats a good idea. But what about bio balls or somthing?

The only other problem is working out how the water flows around the media holding cup thingy. Have a look at the photos of the inside. Its an odd shape, the water comes up a semi circle bit and then theres a large tube.

How would i get good coverage over the media with that?

that's because its designed for water to flow over that area gently, so as to not disturb and shuffle around what is in the cup. shove the ceramic media in that cup. chopped sponge, scotch brite pads etc can go in the other places.

I don't know about smashed up tea cups but it's a creative idea!

I went to my lps and for the replacement filter media, it would cost me $40. And thats just a sponge!

There has to be a better way.

:o:o:o

$40?! I could make a decent sized canister filter for less than that! Are you sure it wasn't $4.00? Or was it just some greedy little pet store that thinks they can get away with it just because they're the only ones around? Use a regular sponge, it's pretty much the same thing, just watch out for any odours or chemicals on it. I learnt that you don't need to buy media designed for your filter, if it fits, it works.

Good luck