Should my ph have risen by now?

paul_r

Set up my 4 footer approx a month ago, have 2 canister filters with sponges inside, 1 has filter carbon.

think its roughly 160l of water

Substrate is black silica sand and had some flat river stones but ive removed most of them.

I added 2kg of crushed coral a month ago and 1kg of limestone chips 2 weeks ago yet ph has not moved from 7.4. the crushed coral and limestone are on floor of tank near the filters (takes up maybe 1/4 of tank bottom, other 3/4 is black silica sand)

Tank is for my africans and ideally would like the ph a bit higher. am i doing something wrong, or am i expecting things to change too fast?

cheers

you just reminded me of what I need. Crushed coral. Thanks! lol... :bounce: :bow:

If your water is buffered well, and it seems it is... I'd probably leave it. but if you want it higher, more limestone may help.

I will be putting crushed coral, and marine substrate in my externals so the pH of the water rises gradually.

is some fancy pants ph test kit dont remember brand but ill check when i get home

cost me $40, bought it the day i bought the coral and read 7.4 that day i tested tank. now a month or so on and still reads the same.

7.2 is the lowest reading i think, dont have any other water or test kits to find out accuracy

Whakatane isnt fortunate enough to have a lfs any more, im off to rotorua in 2 weeks i will get the lfs there to check my water

My test kit is a JBL one, ive never heard of them before but it is really easy to follow.

just found the test kit goes from 7.4-9.0 (blond moment why did i think was 7.2) could be lower than 7.4 ill go see if i can find a normal ph test kit from somewhere tomorrow

I found aragonite sand in a pouch inside your filter helps buffer the water more effectively once you have a crushed coral substrate. 2-4 cups of A.sand in a pantyhose leg, and replace it every month because it builds up a bio film. But don't throw it out, wash it and dry it, then use if the next month again.