Growing tiger lotus from seed - the experiment

whetu

oeminx has generously sent me some tiger lotus seeds on which to carry out evil experiments

*rubs hands together in a sinister manner*

I have divided the seeds into three containers of approximately equal numbers of tiny seeds. I have all three containers floating in my tank so that

a) the temperature is steady

b) they are close to the lights

The proximity of the containers to the lights also means and the temperature is likely to vary a lot between night and day (my tank water is 28 degrees and the lights are on 12.5 hours a day).

Here are the setups of the three containers:

Container 1: 3 cm of plain tank water (no substrate)

Container 2: 1 cm of gravel and 2cm of tank water

Container 3: 1 cm of gravel, 2cm of tank water and half a JBL clay ball

Any other suggestions? What do I do now (except wait and watch)?

The seeds are so fine it would be interesting to see what they would do if someone used sand or a fine propagating mix as a substrate. Has anyone here grown tiger lotus from seed before? And is anyone else experimenting with oeminx's seeds?

Someone has been selling lotus seeds on that nonny mouse site so I suspect someone has if they sold any. The other way would be to buy some from them and get their instruction sheet. I would try fine sand in a shallow dish to see if they germinate. Gravel may be a bit course.

Someone has been selling lotus seeds on that nonny mouse site so I suspect someone has if they sold any. The other way would be to buy some from them and get their instruction sheet. I would try fine sand in a shallow dish to see if they germinate. Gravel may be a bit course.

Yes, I think the gravel is likely to be too coarse. I wish I had some sand handy to give it a go. I would also have liked to try some common-or-garden seed-raising mix and some water with a drop of sprouting hormone in it.

Will be interesting to see what other people do.

Well I have some seeds I got from that nice fellow :lol:

I have got a smiler set up, small container with 8mm of silica sand and 2cm of water

I also have god know how many seeds in/on my substrate which is silica sand also

• 3 weeks later...