May 15, 200917 yr comment_306483 OK I have been told and read these little beauties are hard to breed.. I have 2 tanks 40lt set up with a pair in each..temp 26 deg..sand bottom..2 clay pots and some java moss. 1 pair have laid eggs 4 times ..always in hollows in sand never on rock or pots. after they have laid I make sure there tank has live food at all times, ie daphnia & mozzie lava but every time one of them eats the eggs the next day. any constructive advise would be appriciated please. Darrell Report
May 15, 200917 yr comment_306495 Hi Darrell, I had a similar problem with a pair of Appistos. I removed the parents after laying. Report
May 15, 200917 yr comment_306497 may be bad to have live food in with eggs...plus there's always the possibility of parents getting wrigglers mixed up with live food. If yours are breeding as often as mine used to (once every 2 weeks) I tended to take one batch and raise it myself and leave them with the next batch. It comes to experience of the parents and some just don't make good parents - my female would always eat the eggs but the male when left with the eggs would take good job of the eggs, but I found his fanning of the eggs to be inadequate. I'd get about 30 surviving fry when hatched using an airstone but when I left the batch to the dad the hatching rate was only 10 or less. Report
May 15, 200917 yr comment_306498 If you do a google search you will find it is extremely common with blue rams internationally.. There are plenty of theories as to why some say inbreeding, some say that parenting instincts are learnt and us taking the parents away for many generations means that the population are slowly forgetting how to raise their babies.. Who really knows why, you have options, you can leave them to it and hope that eventually they start looking after them, you can change something to stimulate them into caring for their young (add other fish, different tank different partners etc). Or you can do what most do and remove the eggs and raise them by themselves. Report
May 16, 200917 yr Author comment_306521 I was considering swapping over the females to see if that worked :oops: Report
May 16, 200917 yr comment_306533 if your tank had been bigger you could have even tried putting both females in with the male and see if that would encourage parental instincts Report
May 16, 200917 yr Author comment_306535 I was concidering that and as I have 20 thanks it is not a problem..thanks Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.