** HELP ** please German Rams eating eggs

silver-foxx

OK I have been told and read these little beauties are hard to breed..

I have 2 tanks 40lt set up with a pair in each..temp 26 deg..sand bottom..2 clay pots and some java moss.

1 pair have laid eggs 4 times ..always in hollows in sand never on rock or pots.

after they have laid I make sure there tank has live food at all times, ie daphnia & mozzie lava

but

every time one of them eats the eggs the next day.

any constructive advise would be appriciated please.

Darrell :D

may be bad to have live food in with eggs...plus there's always the possibility of parents getting wrigglers mixed up with live food.

If yours are breeding as often as mine used to (once every 2 weeks) I tended to take one batch and raise it myself and leave them with the next batch.

It comes to experience of the parents and some just don't make good parents - my female would always eat the eggs but the male when left with the eggs would take good job of the eggs, but I found his fanning of the eggs to be inadequate.

I'd get about 30 surviving fry when hatched using an airstone but when I left the batch to the dad the hatching rate was only 10 or less.

If you do a google search you will find it is extremely common with blue rams internationally.. There are plenty of theories as to why some say inbreeding, some say that parenting instincts are learnt and us taking the parents away for many generations means that the population are slowly forgetting how to raise their babies..

Who really knows why, you have options, you can leave them to it and hope that eventually they start looking after them, you can change something to stimulate them into caring for their young (add other fish, different tank different partners etc). Or you can do what most do and remove the eggs and raise them by themselves.