Betta tank

BikBok

well I had planned to put a betta in my 34L aquaone tank but am having 2nd thoughts now.

Firstly I have 3 guppies in there, and one has a pretty flowing red tail = possible target!

2ndly the trickle filter seems to create a lot of current which i know Bettas don't like. I also have bubbles in it too.

So can anyone make a suggestion? It needs to be smallish as we don't have a lot of room in our lounge.

What is the smallest tank a betta can live in without being stressed?

I was looking at a Hexy Mini with built in light and filter but it's only 5.7L . Could Betta be happy in that???

The next size is a Hexy Midi, 21.6L , and perhaps I could put a couple of Platy in that size.. (?)

Has anyone had any experience with a Hexy Midi, I'm curious to know what sort of current teh filter produces.

Or is there a more suitable tank I should be looking at.

Thanks.

I found out that the hexy Midi is called a aa Hexa 5 elsewhere, and it seems a few people do use it as a betta tank so that is encouraging. But i will look into it some more.

The youtube videos I saw of the tank, with Betta in it, did not seem overly turbulent on the surface.

new betta keeper myself but all the websites etc I have researched say 1 gallon is the minimum which if I am not mistaken is a little less than 4 litres. Obviously water quality is of the utmost importance with such a teeny tank

I've looked up the hexy midi but still can't find the info I wanted.

My only experience with tanks that had built in trickle filters was with a small jebo - about 20 litres and the trickle effect from a tilter in the lid was not suitable for keeping male betta in it as the water movement was too much.

I imagine that it would need to be a pretty small powerhead pumping the water up in order for the water movement to be slower. I ended up having to put a sponge filter in the tank I had.

thanks for having a look adodge.

I think the Jebos are pretty similar to aquaone. my AR380- trickle filter does seem too strong,

I found more info when I typed in hexa 5 ( hexy midi is the blueplanet version of same.. probably just renamed) but still no specific info on the filter strength, except one random post in a forum that said it was a bit on the weak side .

What is a sponge filter? Can a trickle filter be modified to be slower?

I modified my trickle filter on my AR380 by sticking a piece of split plastic tube - I think it was the tube some Aqua Kneedit came in, it is quite thin and about an inch in diameter, and duct taped it along the front to the compartment that houses the filter, so that the water coming out from the filter is deflected towards the back of the tank.

A sponge filter is an airpump driven filter that relies on the movement created by the air to circulate water through the sponge, there are many different types in several shapes and sizes available.

This is the information I got from hollywood fish farm regarding filter strength:

"The Hexy Midi motor turns over 200l/h where as the AR380 turns over 400l/h."

So it does indeed look like a hexy will suit a betta! (certaibnly a lot better than my AR 380)

Now to get the tank and find a nice looking local betta :-)

The Hexy is 20.6 L, am I OK to put two platy in with the Betta? If he annoys them I can remove to my other tank but wondering about fish quantity.

Also, when I start the Hexy tank.. is it best to use some water from my AR380 to help the filter along or start with fresh tap water (declorinated).

I will add some TLC live bacteria as well and wait a week before adding any fish. If the platys are ok, I will start with them first. I want everythign just right before the betta gets added.

A tank with a 200ltr/hr filter is not suitable for fighters. It will cause too much stress for the fighter trying to fight the current all the time.

Best to set up a normal glass tank with a sponge filter in it.

I have to disagree with that mine love the hexi tank and enjoy playing in the current or letting the current sweep them in to the plants and lie there for a wile.

I know everyone says the dont like it but mine do. In our community tank we have half the tank with current and half with sheltered with little to no current and they are always in the end with high current :-?

UNLESS you are breading then they need no current and we use a foam filter

that's interesting.

Thanks for your reply.

I looked at a Hexy in the weekend, it had one spout for the water outlet so couldeaily place plants below to disperse. AND the piping had a water flow knob to slow it down.

I think Iwill go with a hexy.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually agree with Scottie. Im new to keeping Betta's but mine doesn't mind the filter. It's a Rio180 and turns over 460 LP/H. He doesn't mind and is very happy at the moment. He can escape the current and I have a submersed DIY spray bar. He really enjoys his 54 Litre (60x30x30) and hangs out by the filter all the time.

Good luck.

I got the hexy today and will set up tomorrow.

the flow control knob will be handy if I need to slow it down.

But the return spout part (callled a silencer) was not in the box although it's listed in the booklet as being included. I'll have to go back and see what the story is. The spout would bring the return water back down near the surface for less splash.

• 3 weeks later...
oh bik you are getting lots of fish u must have the bug like i had haha

aint worn off yet but it does i had tanks yrs ago then now now 4 again !

oh bik you are getting lots of fish u must have the bug like i had haha

aint worn off yet but it does i had tanks yrs ago then now now 4 again !

Well I am resisting getting the "big tank" until we move or extend the lounge of where we are currently.

So at the moment it is just two small tanks

The Hexy is working out really well for the betta. He doesn't mind the current at all and certainly doesn't try and avoid the outlet spout with silencer (got one from masterpet). I can adjust the current if I need to which is great .. after water change I increase the flow to get it all circulated more quickly and catch any loose debris from disturbing the gravel and then I slow it right back down again.

the hexy (22 L)

BikBok-hexy-bti.jpg

There is a Bristlenose in this tank and I want to put two platy in as soon as I can find some nice wagtails.

the aquaone (34L)

BikBok-june09-4kx.jpg

the red blur on the right is my female betta - she's a character. The kuhlis are hiding and there's also a BN in there somewhere.

• 1 month later...