RO Recomendations

skaffen

Can anyone recommend a good and cheap (hope those two aren't mutually exclusive) RO unit?

I want one that'll do ~100 l in a day, once a week.

I've had a squiz on the web, and I could get one for ~$350 from the U.S, but I'd rather buy N.Z for support and parts.

Is anyone else in Hamilton sick of brown algae from the high phosphate in the town supply?

If high phosphate is your only problem you might think of alternatives to RO. Those two terms seem to be mutually exclusive if you want to buy new in NZ for this type of product. And to be honest, everything I have seen has been twice the price you have stated. The thing to remember is that a lot of RO units need water to be passing over the membrane all the time or it can get damaged or wear out much faster. Of course you can do this by adjusting your flow rate right back when not in use. I recall the ones that dont need this are much more expensive. Having said that, someone else correct me if I am wrong - things may have changed since I last looked into it. But for $350, if you can bring one in, Id say thats a pretty good deal, and i would think the parts are available pretty much anywhere. Of course, you could do what some others do and just sell on your spare RO water. I used to know a guy who would sell 5 gallons of RO water for the equivalent of a few dollars. Its actually a good option for someone who doesnt want to splash on their own RO unit. No capital outlay and no maintenance cost.

Here's the unit I'm eyeing up, $160 USD:

http://www.wateranywhere.com/Water_Filt ... 5d1e8dccab

I've emailed them a question regarding the membrane drying out, thanks for the info.

Looks good to me. Also dont forget that the water coming out of an RO unit is often very low pH (i recall) and has no buffering capacity.

• 2 weeks later...

After ringing around various water treatment companies, the imported unit I linked to above is still the best value I could find - even with the N.Z $ in the toilet at the moment. The closest comparable unit in N.Z was a couple of hundy more - some places wanted over $700 :o

I've ordered one, so I'll report back regarding the quality, longevity of cartridges, water quality, etc.

Take that, evil brown algae! :bounce: