sharing..

Whiskas

Yes they are gold rams but they are not balloons - have one of those and the body shape quite different, much more rounded! Although in saying that the male isn't as streamlined as the female...

I think i needed to leave dad in as i can now only count around 7 (?) lil fellas swimming around :( O well its all a learning curve :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah was SOOOOOO GUTTED!!!!! :cry:

dunno wat kind of infection. His eye was popped out (like popeye) but he also had swelling all over that side of his face and it was red - looked a bit like the bristlenose had suckered his face!!??? This has happened to the goldfish at work - seems to be the male BN's who do this as i never have a problem with the female. The male BN at home will be removed form that particular tank (the one with cockatoo cichlids and the ram) and put in with the guppies, platies and his female BN, for safe keeping.

Have treated his tank with meth blue (i think thats what it was?) and the tank he died in with melafix.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a male gold ram i can buy (or maybe even borrow) as i havn't been very succesful in finding another male :( Otherwise will have to get a blue ram male...

In the end only one fry survived and is happily swimming around in the guppy tank - it is around 3cm (at a guess) and i think a female?????? But not sure how to tell at this size.

Mum bought a couple more golden rams at the Animates Aqua Fun Day but they may be females too :( They are very pale at the mo so is hard to tell and they are also quite small.

• 2 months later...

K so after much searching and little to find I have bought what i hope is a male blue ram to breed her with.

Seems a shame but was told this a better idea than crossing with a balloon - so we will see :)

Also the 2 gold rams mum bought are female - so this blue fella will have a harem all to himself!! 5 females in total!!! :lol:

Blue x gold should be better than gold x gold and blue x blue as one would assume the blues and golds are not very closely related and you should get some very strong fish come out of it which you can line breed for both strong blues and golds. It will take a few generations before you start seeing golds though (Depending on what genes blues carry).

Good luck do you have anymore pics of your gold females?

will try and get some - as we all know it is always a bit of a mission to get a decent pic of fish :roll:

The pic above was pretty much a fluke!!! Took prolly around 25 or so that day! :lol:

*just hope the blue survives his travelling ordeal! He had to travel over the hill (Rimutakas) and thats harrowing enough for most humans!!!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

here are some pics of each female:

Lil Miss (the only surviving baby from the 2 above)

4003172926_79ddf80af9.jpg

miss red cheeks (part-balloon? gold ram - she wouldnt move from her corner)

4002390705_212186bdfa.jpg

bubbles (balloon gold)

4003186690_82ae957007.jpg

lil red cheeks

4003123244_12af03391f.jpg

Mrs Gold (mother to Lil Miss - the original gold ram from above)

4003197594_538430563d.jpg

Just got a male blue ram - he needs feeding up but seems a happy fellow. Will put Mrs Gold in with him very soon.

• 1 month later...

Ok so got a male blue ram. They have tried a couple of times - first time eggs infertile, second time he ate them once they hatched, third time might be the charm.

Also thought it was interesting to note that when he is showing off he turns more of a golden colour rather than strong blue - interesting. He has obviously worked out what girls want :lol: