T5's/MH

lmsmith

This isn't such a technical question as a practical one - where, apart from pet stores, can you buy these lights? Pref. in Welly where I can pick them up. Once I've decided what I'm getting, I'd rather not pay $50 in postage...

*sigh* Here we go opening another can of worms

The Efficacy (lumens per Watt (lm/W)) of a metal halide varies considerably but typical figures are around 80-90 lm/W

High efficiency T5 lamps are up to 104 lm/W

High Output (HO) T5's are much less than that (sorry no data sheets on hand)

If you are concerned with operational costs, most metal halides still run with electromagnetic ballasts which are v inefficient.

The lumen Maintenance of a T5 tube is better than a metal halide with output dropping down to an impressive 90% at 15,000 hrs.

The lumen maintenance of a MH lamp will drop off more but life expectancy is very variable depending on type of lamp, supply voltage etc

t5's produce brighter light per watt. (i think)

you cant compare t5's to MH's cause they both use different amounts of power in Watts.

basically it seems you get more bang for your buck with t5 HO's.

the standard 4ft T5 HO tube is 54W, and you need 2 of them = 108 Watts. that's the power consumption. MH's Watt rating depend on the individual bulb.

HTH

*sigh* Here we go opening another can of worms

The Efficacy (lumens per Watt (lm/W)) of a metal halide varies considerably but typical figures are around 80-90 lm/W

High efficiency T5 lamps are up to 104 lm/W

High Output (HO) T5's are much less than that (sorry no data sheets on hand)

If you are concerned with operational costs, most metal halides still run with electromagnetic ballasts which are v inefficient.

The lumen Maintenance of a T5 tube is better than a metal halide with output dropping down to an impressive 90% at 15,000 hrs.

The lumen maintenance of a MH lamp will drop off more but life expectancy is very variable depending on type of lamp, supply voltage etc

So there is about 10-15% difference, I think you would be lucky to be able to see any difference, and beyond a doubt the quality of the reflector would make a far bigger difference. IMHO for the purpose of calculating light in a tank take them as being the same.