Help Beardie got burned

chilli

only problem with taller vivs is the uv has to be close i could drop it down but that gets hot on top and iris will climb on that to and burn his belly,

i could always make a viv that the ceramic and spot light dont sit in the tank just on top with a hole cut out on top to let heat in(i had this once for leapard geckos worked good)

but dont no if the ceramic one will over heat? :roll:

what substrate is it housed on?

he was on sand but now just news paper(very boring)

i also have astro turf but thought that might irritate him coz its ruff

ps i know the risks with sand but he is bigger now and sand has no pebbles etc (sifted a few times)

Hows the wee one today?

Hows about putting the Heat Lamp at the top of the Enclosure (so no one can jump onto it) and juss move the Basking Area closer to that Heat Source?

(Thats wat I will be doing for Malin when I build his Enclosure)

Then you dont have a yucky fitting inside the Display Area, and they cant jump on it either, lol! :wink:

yeh was thinking of something like that,ill need to make him a new bigger inclosure

waters are in the big one

but livingart will help me make a good setup :bounce:

Hi chilli

Sorry to hear of the burn to your Dragon. This is perhaps not the right place etc, but we sell to the Pet retailers a wire cage that has a ceramic fitting E27 (screw fitting) for ceramic heat emitters and heat bulbs. To me they are an essential part of Lizard safety as I have experienced and seen too many injuries from bulbs. As pointed out Water Dragons can jump and Beardies can climb. Scars are for life and for the sake of approx $60.00, to me a small price to pay for safety of your reptile and your skin as well!! I'm not pushing a product, just pointing out that there is, and has been for some time, a product on the market to protect your pet Reptiles from serious burns. Trust me they work, I've been using them for a couple of years with no injury to my Dragons, kids or myself.

Cheers

Chris

Hi chilli

Sorry to hear of the burn to your Dragon. This is perhaps not the right place etc, but we sell to the Pet retailers a wire cage that has a ceramic fitting E27 (screw fitting) for ceramic heat emitters and heat bulbs. To me they are an essential part of Lizard safety as I have experienced and seen too many injuries from bulbs. As pointed out Water Dragons can jump and Beardies can climb. Scars are for life and for the sake of approx $60.00, to me a small price to pay for safety of your reptile and your skin as well!! I'm not pushing a product, just pointing out that there is, and has been for some time, a product on the market to protect your pet Reptiles from serious burns. Trust me they work, I've been using them for a couple of years with no injury to my Dragons, kids or myself.

Cheers

Chris

i do have that cage for the waters i didnt relise i would need it for the beardie(when i got my waters they had been burnt before so i bought that cage striaght away),

and when i put the beardie in the water dragons setup to run around more(not at same time as waters)he does jump and climb up the cage so thought he might stay there to long and burn his belly(like a heat rock)

never had my other beardie jump to its lights etc

im just lucky it wasnt a huge body scar or if he was smaller it could have really hurt him

at the moment im trying to think of a good setup for all the dragons so there all safe and happy