Fish that eat snails?

livebearer_breeder

im not sure but i think i might have read ina forum whether it be this or another that there are a type of fish out there that eat snails? "clown loach" i think it might have been? if any1 could help me with this as i wuld like to do the natural thing and buy some sort of fish that will eat snails instead of useing a chemical to get rid of them!

Cheers Shae

Skunk loaches and most of the botiinae family have the snail-eating reputation too.

My skunk loach hasn't eradicated the snails in my tank, but I've never seen a snail in the tank that's grown beyond a few millimeters either, so I can't really say if the reputation is deserved. It doesn't matter though, even if it doesn't eat the snails you won't regret buying a loach, they're fun.

You can try placing a piece of lettuce in the tank just before lights out. Come back in an hour or 2 & pull the lettuce out, should be plenty of them on the there.

Or you could try a Anomalochromis thomasi they are pretty friendly for a cichlid & eat more snails than a clown loach will. We use them at work, even with the tropicals, they get nice & fat real quick.

Frenchy :D