Help Please to identify Cichlids

djay

Hi i would like to identify the orange cichlids are if someone can help

mini-DSCF0765.jpg

And the 2 blue ones that are above the driftwood, and the one blue one below driftwood facing out to the left

DSCF0742.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dianne

Firstly where did you buy them from and what did you buy them as? There are plenty of dodgy mbuna kicking around on trademe and in shops, sometimes these get given random common names and onsold.. Always best to get off breeders or from shops direct off wholesale list (even this is dodgy as all sorts of random things get in at times).

As for what your fish are, I have no idea on the top ones they look to be almost melanachromis type shape but random colour and faint barring, bottom ones look like randoms probably hybrids based on the types and random barring on them..

That's just my opinion I am not very good with ID's esp with mixed mbuna..

Hi i would like to identify the orange cichlids are if someone can help

mini-DSCF0765.jpg

And the 2 blue ones that are above the driftwood, and the one blue one below driftwood facing out to the left

DSCF0742.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Dianne

what is the brown striped one below the driftwood/ and does it ever have purple tones? I have one that looks similar and I am assuming it is a hybrid

Yep could be a female or subdominant male peacock, commonly they can be hybrids it depends where they come from as they cross very easily in mixed tanks which people commonly setup, also if you accidently mix 2 females it can be impossible to tell them apart again..

better photos of the fish in question would help

good infocus photo of fish syde on and good lighting not a flash can help

as specifically identifying even purebreds can be hard from a photo

as said the fish mj is enquiring about maybe a peacock of some description either female or uncoloured male

most female peacocks look similar

i have 3 tanks, 1 with royal blues, 1 with red shoulder and 1 with fish from both species that have been mixed up

i bred them all but when they were growing on and we needed to thin numbers i had someone (who was supposed to know their fish) else move some to a new tank for me

they took some fish from each tank of purebred fish and mixed them up in the 1 tank

can't guarantee the females for species in that tank now :evil:

That looks like some kinda female peacock to me

i got it from animates, reason I bought it was because it had a noticeable purple ting to it (haven't noticed it since adding it to my community tank) - going to strip the community tank down a fair bit when I take a second tank to work :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

(sorry for hijacking)