Malaysian Trumpet Snails & DC Loaches

skaffen

I've just bought some Malaysian Trumpet Snails off TM. I have 7 Dwarf Loaches, have I just ordered expensive food for them? I initially got the loaches to get rid of some mystery snails, but they haven't been interested in them at all, so I think I'll be OK.

I plan on introducing the MTSs after lights out to give them a fighting chance anyhow.

I've just bought some Malaysian Trumpet Snails off TM. I have 7 Dwarf Loaches, have I just ordered expensive food for them? I initially got the loaches to get rid of some mystery snails, but they haven't been interested in them at all, so I think I'll be OK.

I plan on introducing the MTSs after lights out to give them a fighting chance anyhow.

Ooooh you may have just provided your loaches with the best meal of their lives! I have heard mixed opinions - some people say they won't eat trumpet snails because the shells are too hard... but nobody told my clown loaches that! They eat anything! Perhaps you had better send the memo to your dwarf chains that trumpet snails are off limits.

On the other hand if they don't eat other snails, maybe they just never developed a taste for escargot.

On the other other hand, my clown loaches are most active looking for food just after lights out. I don't know the habits of DCs so you might be ok... or you may be preparing the perfect midnight snack! :o

Do let us know how it all goes.

Well, despite some reservations on my part, they're in and doing well. The Dwarf Loaches have the occasional sniff around, but don't seem interested. Obviously I'm feeding them far too well :)

When hassled, the snails just shut up shop for a minute or two, then carry on. I was expecting them to immediately burrow into the substrate, but several have gone glass climbing, and the rest are spreading out on the substrate surface. So much for being nocturnal... I'll post updates as news comes to hand

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I gave the tank a massive clean-up last night - removed the aponogetons, pruned the swords ~50%, added a pack of JBL 7+13, found a days dead tiger barb hidden in one of the swords :( Have put a patch of dwarf sagg back in - I like the bright green colour. The crypts on the right are going well. Added some combomba. Oh, and some hair grass, another nice bright green.

Anyhow, I did a through gravel vac - around 50% water change - and only found one MTS shell. Might be early days still, but not sure now. I might do a spot check one night after lights out.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn15 ... G_0284.jpg

I used to have a single male golden gourami. He was in the 80L tank that got me started in fish-keeping. He was fine when he was moved to the 440L thank, but he got spooked during a big rearrangement. Simian kindly gave me a female, and he was back to his old self, basically king of the tank. I had another re-scaping, and they both got spooked. It took about a month for them to come right, and they were still a bit shy.

So I was dreading the big clean-out. But strangely enough, both the GGs are fine. If anything, they are even more relaxed. Weird...