pleco sticks to driftwood problem?

bubbles1

my pleco is about 12cm and sticks to the big drift wood in my tank and dosnt come out to eat the algae .

Its not doing its job . it just sticks it self to the driftwood . is this what they do ?

i know that driftwood is in the diet of pleco but whats the pont of having them if they dont do the job. does anyone know why its like this? this is a common pleco.

is there an elgae eater that does not do this?

thanks bubbles1 :x

... whats the pont of having them if they dont do the job...

Some people like plecos for their own sake, rather than the sole purpose of eating algae.

I would suggest that you look at the underlying causes of your algae problems before choosing a fish to get rid of it. Also different fish will prefer differet kinds of algae. What kind of algae do you have?

:lol:

plecos are so pretty though. with those long fins, and weird patterns.. and over inflated prices :lol:

but no seriously...

as hans said fire it, and get some algae eaters or something. plecos should be fed stuff like cucumber, so they dont have to eat algae off the glass :D

perhaps there is a chem imbalance in the tank, that is causing the algae to grow in disproportion. your best bet would be to find out what it is, and look at that approach instead of replacing the fish.

One fish is better than no fish :lol:

Doing it's job?

It's probably read it's employment contract and found it's job description actually includes eating, pooping and lazing about. Thats all that big plecos ever do. :roll:

Expecting a larger pleco to clean a tank is pretty pointless, they aren't cleaners, they are mess makers.

I love em anyway 8)

Ian

The more hiding places you give him, the happier he'll be. But he might just be shy, and not want to come out. What sort of pleco is he? Pleco is pretty generic; lots of people think that applies to all bottom dwellers.

It would really help if you could identify the type of pleco you have. Even a description would help. Also what size is it, and what size tank is it in?

In general, a fish will be more active if it feels comfortable in its environment. It doesn't need to cost a lot to give it places to hide. Wood, stacked slate, bunches of plants, etc. can be cheap or free.

Also, you might be able to tempt it out of hiding by putting some food in there for it - like cucumber as has been suggested.

Good luck seeing more of your pleco.

I recently got 2 golden spot plecos and man they have done an epic job on the algae - don't seem them much throughout the day but I knew that was the case anyway

maybe the water aint so good? or maybe he has enough algae where he/she is or in other hidden places

can loan ya mine soon as they will have done the job required :bounce: